Department Building Services-Custodians
Category Maintenance and Custodial Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Work Schedule Saturday-Wednesday, 7a-3:30p
The Custodian is responsible for all phases of cleaning within the University. Work sites will vary but do include dormitories, athletic buildings, lab/research areas, academic buildings and office areas. Typical tasks will include dusting, mopping the floor, cleaning restrooms, replenishing bathroom supplies, trash removal, vacuuming and extracting carpets, stripping and refinishing of floors, changing light bulbs, and setting up chairs and tables for special events/ meetings.
All Building Services employees are considered to be Essential Services Personnel.
- Clean bathrooms and fill all dispensers.
- Clean light fixtures and change light bulbs if fixtures can be reached with a 6’ ladder.
- Empty trash receptacles. Transfer trash and recyclables to dumpster sites.
- Mop, vacuum, extract, and burnish floor surfaces.
- Inspect assigned work areas for maintenance, cleaning and safety needs.
- Clean stairwells and elevators.
- Spot clean windows.
- Clean building exterior of cigarette butts and debris and shovel snow within the immediate vicinity of a building entrance.
- Set up furniture for special functions.
- Check fire extinguishers.
- Dust wall and horizontal surfaces.
- Extract carpets and strip and refinish floors.
- Distributes exam books.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Manually transport furniture.
- Shovel Snow and remove ice from Building Entrances.
- Operate scooters/golf-carts for transporting personnel, trash, materials, etc.
- Must be able to stand or walk 2-4 hours at one time for 6-8 hours per day.
- Must be able to lift or carry up to 10 pounds frequently (34 – 66% of the workday)
- Must be able to lift or carry up to 60 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday) and in a range of motions from floor to shoulder height.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead.
- Must be able to push or pull using forces up to 10 pounds constantly (over 67% of the workday).
- Must be able to push or pull using forces up to 60 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday).
- Must be able to frequently use hands for simple grasping, pushing, or pulling.
- Must be able to bend, push, or pull frequently (34-66% of the work day).
- Must be able to squat, kneel, climb, reach overhead, or lift overhead occasionally (up to 33% of the work day).
- Must be able to climb stairs or ladder, shovel snow, and work outdoors in a variety of environmental conditions.
- Must be able to work at heights, possess full range of body motions and physical agility, and have the ability to maintain balance.
- Valid driver's license to operate scooters/golf-carts.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.