Certified Nursing Assistant
Department Health Services
Category Health Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Temporary
Princeton University is seeking a self-motivated, knowledgeable, energetic, and flexible professional to serve as a nursing assistant on the overnight care unit. The Infirmary is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, during the academic year from September to June (closed during the summer), providing after-hours nursing care to students. The Infirmary follows written protocols and has 24 hour physician and counselor support.
The position is a per-diem non-benefitted Certified Nursing Assistant position. The shifts are variable (7a-3p, 3p-11p, or 11p-7a, weekdays, weekends, and holidays). The position is for one academic year only.
University Health Services (UHS) at Princeton University is a fully accredited (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, or “AAAHC”) health care facility. Located in the McCosh Health Center, the Caldwell Field House and Dillon Gym, UHS provides comprehensive health services to more than 7,500 Princeton undergraduate and graduate students, and specialized services to Princeton University faculty, staff, and employees who experience work-related injuries and illnesses, or who require consultations regarding international and travel medicine.
UHS’s mission is to enhance learning and student success by advancing the health and well-being of our diverse University community. This mission is pursued and supports the University’s purpose by using current knowledge of health and human development to guide responsive, high quality clinical, prevention, and consultation services.
UHS’s values are Respect & Compassionate Care; Integrity & Service Excellence; Collaboration & Innovative Solutions; & Engagement & Lifelong Learning.
UHS hires individuals of all backgrounds. We build on our staff’s diversity--recognizing, valuing, and appreciating the different perspectives, talents and energy of all. UHS invites all its employees to make a valuable contribution in this regard. We firmly believe that being an inclusive and culturally responsive community is one of the foundations of a vibrant, relevant organization. We aspire to develop the mindsets, knowledge and abilities to build equitable and inclusive systems, teams and culture.
The CNA provides support by assisting with patient care, housekeeping, clerical, food service, and other duties as assigned. The duties listed are not all inclusive of the position. The CNA functions under the supervision of the registered nurse, and may perform other tasks not listed at the discretion of the registered nurse.
Clinical Care (50%)
- Assists nurses as directed to provide care for patients
- Takes vital signs and reports any abnormalities to registered nurse
- Assists patients with ambulation and activities of daily living as needed
- Changes bed linens
- Answers call bells
- Monitors patients on one-to-one basis as directed by RN
- Reports to nurse any pertinent information regarding patient status
- Performs collection and testing of specimens as directed by RN
- Maintains open communication with other staff members
- Performs hand off care with oncoming and outgoing nurse assistants
- Assists nurses to provide emergency after-hours care to student
- Obtains needed supplies as directed
- Other clinical tasks as delegated by the Nurse on duty
- Assists in providing a clean, safe environment on the Infirmary unit and other areas as needed/designated
- Keeps patient rooms clean and tidy
- Cleans discharge rooms
- Monitors cleanliness and tidiness of bathrooms
- Disposes of dirty linen in laundry bags and stores dirty linen in linen hampers in the designated area
- Cleans surfaces in utility rooms, solarium and nurses station
- Tidies exam room after use
- Maintains cleanliness in kitchen and dining area
- Cleans and stores equipment
- Maintains adequate stock of supplies
- Kitchen items
- Linen (Stocks linen room)
- Exam room
- Other tasks as delegated by the Nurse on duty
Administrative Support (20%)
- Enters student information into computer
- Assists with admission and orientation to unit
- Orders and distributes meals and snacks to patients
- Assists with patient care related activities
- Answers telephone
- Directs visitors
- Other data entry as designated.
Performs other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma
- Certification as a Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certifications
- Minimum of 1-year work experience working in an acute care, urgent care, or emergency setting
- Ability to move freely throughout the unit, and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to physically move/ambulate patients
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Flexibility: The shifts are variable (7a-3p, 3p-11p, or 11p-7a, weekdays, weekends, and/or holidays).
- Dependability – attendance is critical
Be advised that you will be contacted only if there is further interest in your application. The candidate dashboard will not display status updates for this requisition.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.