Research Support Assistant
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The intern will engage in the design of a tuned mass damper for the LIGO suspensions. Under direct supervision of an engineer, the student will aid in static and dynamic analysis of the existing tuned mass dampers. Cross-coupling analysis results with experimental data, the student will propose a new design to meet the LIGO requirements. The student will gain experience on FEA software, programming, data analysis and engineering. The work will be performed entirely remotely.
- Carry out static and modal simulations with FEA software
- Interpret and report on the results
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate college student in a mechanical engineering major
- Good interpersonal skills, written skills, and excellent attention to detail
- Experience with FEA software