Communications and Engagement Officer for the Centre for Doctoral Training in Safe and Trusted AI
The Communications and Engagement Officer (STAI C&E Officer) is responsible for communications and marketing activities within the UKRI STAI CDT. In addition, the post is responsible for supporting the coordination of STAI CDT activities and events to support the smooth running of the PhD programme.
The UKRI STAI CDT is a collaborative partnership between two universities; this post will work with colleagues across both institutions. Working closely with the STAI CDT Manager and Management Team, the STAI C&E Officer will develop close working relationships with academic and professional services staff at both King's College London and Imperial College London.
The ideal candidate will be an effective communicator with experience of communications and coordination of student engagement activities and events, ideally in a higher education context.
This is a part-time (17.5 hours per week) Fixed-term post for 60 months (5 years).
- Working with the CDT Manager and CDT directors, develop and implement an overarching communications and marketing strategy for the STAI CDT (focussing initially on PhD student recruitment) for both external and internal audiences
- Working with the CDT Manager, monitor and administer the STAI CDT email inbox, distributing and answering enquiries as appropriate
- Develop and maintain all relevant websites (WordPress), learning environments (KEATS and Microsoft Teams) and digital platforms (including Twitter, and LinkedIn)
- Deliver the student on-boarding process following appointment to the CDT, including keep warm messaging and induction coordination
- Represent the STAI CDT at events as required, and attend relevant STAI CDT committees
- Work with the CDT's student cohort and directors to develop communication streams for the CDT as appropriate
- Manage the external and internal profile of STAI CDT
- Use web analytics and other data to drive the development of appropriate communications channels to broaden the reach of the STAI CDT
- Coordinate and edit marketing material, including gathering, drafting and editing content and working with graphic designers and printers
- Commission and deliver multi-media content including videos, brochures, infographics, charts, images and presentation formats
- Working with the CDT Manager, CDT directors and colleagues deliver marketing strategies and advertising campaigns for the STAI CDT for studentships, summer schools, conferences and public engagement fairs
Engagement & Coordination
- Support the CDT Manager in coordinating student training activities and cohort engagement events
- Maintain up to date student cohort information across the CDT partnership and maintain a central student progression spreadsheet
- Ensure our KEATS page for current CDT students is up to date with information
- Maintain a current record of student attendance to CDT training activities and cohort engagement events.
- Ensure effective recording of communications data in order to report on and evaluate impact of activities
- Learn from student and staff feedback and ensure ongoing development of communications activities
- Deputise for the CDT Manager when appropriate and support them as needed.
- Undertake continuous personal and professional development
- Recognise and handle effectively the challenges of working across the partnership of the CDT with a range of stakeholders and agendas, managing upwards as required
- Undertake any other duties reasonably requested by the STAI CDT Manager and CDT Director
- Proactively build and maintain a broad network of communications contacts including internal and external audiences, supervisors, alumni and non-HEI partners
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Good standard of general education e.g. A Level of equivalent
- Communication skills across multiple media platforms, including excellent written and spoken English
- Skills in web platforms, standard IT systems, including Word, Excel
- Ability to draft copy for marketing and communication materials
- Excellent organizational/ time management/prioritization skills
- Ability to multitask, work to different and competing priorities and demands
- Ability to engage and work with a range of stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills at all levels
- General administrative/clerical experience
- Accurate work and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, using initiative when appropriate
- Ability to work with academic and non-academic staff at all levels, and the ability to relate to PGR students
- 'Hands on' approach to working; creative and positive approach
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- Experience of working in the Higher Education sector and familiarity with HE administration
- Experience in delivering communication and marketing campaigns
- Experience in maintaining websites
- Experience in social media
This post is subject to Disclosure and Barring Service and Occupational Health clearance.
This advertisement does not meet the requirements for a Certificate of Sponsorship under Home Office regulations and therefore the university will not be able to offer sponsorship for this role.