Housekeeping and Cleaning Services Assistant
Accommodation & Commercial Services
Grade 1: - £17,046
Open-Ended/Permanent - Part Time
Contracted Hours per Week: 25
Closing Date: Ongoing
Job Family: Estates and Information Infrastructure Services
Job Reference Number: 20000459
Job Title: Housekeeping and Cleaning Services Assistant
Department: Estates and Facilities Accommodation and Commercial Services
Responsible to: Housekeeping and Cleaning Services Supervisor
Grade: Grade 1
Salary range: £17,046 (pro rata)
Contract type: Permanent
Working arrangements: Various part-time
Closing date: 13 August at midnight
Interview date: (if known) 14th to 20th August 2020
The Department and role purpose
The Estates and Facilities Directorate provides a number of essential services to Durham University and is responsible for managing, maintaining and developing the infrastructure and building fabric of the various campuses, including:
- maintaining and regularly reviewing a maintenance programme which takes account of short, medium and long term needs of all buildings and University grounds;
- implementing the works identified and funded within the various maintenance programmes and operating a system for dealing with day-to day requirements, including the provision of an out-of-hours emergency service;
- providing a professional, technical service to the University for the design, construction and procurement of new buildings and adaptation works to existing buildings;
- identifying and recording the use of space and advising on ways of increasing space utilisation;
- property and asset management;
- acquisition and disposal of built environment related assets;
- procuring and managing utilities and services;
- providing postal, delivery and security arrangements and advice to the University; and
- the delivery of a wide-range of customer-facing services, including: contract management; estates and facilities relationships management; housekeeping and cleaning, business resilience, event management; reception helpdesk; university retail; business support; health and safety; and management information.
The Housekeeping and Cleaning Services Assistant will deliver a range of cleaning/ housekeeping services across University premises, including the cleaning and servicing of facilities, offices and common areas, used by students, University employees and commercial customers.
- Complete a defined set of tasks or procedures within a team to deliver a responsive service to stakeholders.
- Maybe an indirect and/or direct stakeholder-facing service.
- Follow instructions from a the line manager or supervisor to identify what and how to deliver a limited set of tasks or processes.
- As and when directed assist team members by stepping-in to provide support.
- Learn the correct methods and tasks on the job.
- Learn and adhere to general health, safety and security procedures within the service area covered by H&SAW guidelines, on the job.
- Use a range of equipment, tools and resources, digital devices, software and applications where necessary.
- Communicate with line manages, supervisors, team members, other staff, students and visitors in person or using electronic tools and applications.
- Assist team members to deliver a frontline student, staff or visitor service.
- Learn how to deliver physical services to meet regulatory and statutory guidelines and protocols.
- Keep physical internal and external environments, buildings and services in a safe and secure working order.
- Use a range of equipment, tools and resources following certification and supervision to deliver services.
- Assist team members with the security, safety, maintenance and upkeep of systems, buildings, equipment and facilities.
- Ensure own work is completed in accordance with risk assessments specific to tasks and environments.
- Where directed, wear and use protective equipment and clothing to carry out tasks.
- Any other reasonable duties.
Specific Role requirements
- Adopt and promote a flexible approach to working, and be willing to cover absences, when given reasonable notice.
- Competent working under minimal direct supervision with the designated local remit and liaising, where necessary, with appropriate members of staff.
- The role will require an element of physical manual handling, which can include lifting and transporting equipment and deliveries.
- Working evenings and weekends, as business demands.
- Attend all training and development, as required.
- 1x14 hours, flexible 2 out of 7 (primarily Saturday and Sunday) – 30 weeks, permanent
- 1x12 hours, flexible 4 out of 7 (primarily Tuesday to Friday) – 30 weeks, permanent
- 1x6 hours, flexible 2 out of 7 (primarily Saturday and Sunday) – 52 weeks, permanent
- 1x15 hours, flexible 5 out of 7 (primarily Monday to Friday) – 52 weeks, permanent
- 1x25 hours, flexible 5 out of 7 (primarily Monday to Friday) – 52 weeks, permanent
- 3x15 hours, flexible 5 out of 7 (primarily Tuesday to Saturday, Wednesday to Sunday and Monday to Friday) – 52 weeks, permanent
- 1x16 hours, flexible 4 out of 7 (primarily Saturday to Tuesday) - 52 weeks, permanent
Where shift patterns and timings allow, consideration will be given to multiple contracts up to a maximum of 35 hours per week.
Interview dates will be 14th to 20th August 2020.
How to apply
We prefer to receive applications online.
Please note that in submitting your application Durham University will be processing your data. We would ask you to consider the relevant University Privacy Statement https://www.dur.ac.uk/ig/dp/privacy/pnjobapplicants/ which provides information on the collation, storing and use of data.
What you are required to submit
- Expressions of interest, completing the basic questions in the online form.
For further information please contact: Lisa Blundell, Lisa.Blundell@durham.ac.uk
At Durham University, our aim is to create an open and inclusive environment where everyone can reach their full potential and believe our staff should reflect the diversity of the global community in which we work. We welcome and encourage applications from members of groups who are under-represented in our work force, including people with disabilities, women and black, Asian and minority ethnic communities.
We will notify you on the status of your application at various points throughout the selection process, via automated emails from our e-recruitment system. Please check your spam/junk folder periodically to ensure you receive all emails.
Person specification - skills, knowledge, qualifications and experience required
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Basic numeracy and literacy skills
- Evidence of personal development to maintain skills
- Ability to work alone but build positive working relationships and work as part of a team
- Ability to manage time in order to meet deadlines
- Ability to follow instructions, written or oral, accurately
- Good attention to detail
Ability to deal effectively with staff and customers at all levels
- Basic IT skills including use of Microsoft Office
- BICS or First Aid trained
- Previous housekeeping and/or cleaning experience
DBS Requirement: Not Applicable.