Research Specialist II
Department Molecular Biology
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
A full-time Research Specialist position is available in the Confocal Imaging Facility (CIF) laboratory in the Department of Molecular Biology at Princeton University. The CIF provides support for Princeton University faculty and student research utilizing multiple imaging modalities. This position reports directly to the Facility Director. This is a 2-year term position with the possibility of renewal.
Responsibilities of the Confocal Imaging Facility Research Specialist include:
- Train and assist with the execution of complex and routine widefield and confocal experiments with users (students, post-docs and faculty). Orient new users to the lab and directly contribute to the successful daily operation of the facility.
- Consult with users (students, post-docs and faculty) concerning assay development and appropriate instrument application/optimization.
- Perform daily and weekly quality control checks on all microscopes. Keep accurate, legible records to monitor instrument performance. In concert with Facility Director, complete scheduled and unscheduled system maintenance as needed.
- Assist in maintaining instrument/experiment calendars and become expert in the use of iLab scheduling software.
- Archive all facility data and maintain workstation computers.
- Other duties as assigned by the CIF Director.
- Master's degree in a scientific discipline and 4-6 years previous experience in a laboratory experience are required.
- Previous imaging/confocal knowledge and hands-on experience with routine and advanced multi-dimensional experiments is required.
- The candidate should have: strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal; independent critical thinking and problem solving ability; flexibility; and excellent attention to detail.
- Experience in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment and the ability to work independently is required.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) software.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.