Senior Manager, Strategic Initiatives and Administration
Department Research Computing
Category Information Technology
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Senior Manager for Strategic Initiatives partners with the Associate CIO for Research Computing to help ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of the department and staff responsible for providing research computing services for Princeton University. As senior manager, you would oversee the administrative operations of the department; oversee project planning processes to ensure projects are delivered with expected results; and oversee service management practices within the department. The senior manager may also take on project leadership for major, complex IT initiatives that are key to the continued success of the department, data and computational science research, and the University.
The Senior Manager provides leadership in the areas of IT project management, and service management. Key responsibilities include serving as the organizational lead in the areas of departmental strategic planning and department-wide communications. The senior manager is also responsible for building collaborative relationships with department leadership and leaders throughout the Office of Information (OIT) organization.
The Senior Manager represents the Associate CIO for RC in their absence.
- Advise the Associate CIO, Research Computing (RC) on strategic and operational infrastructure plans
- Contribute to developing the department vision and messaging, and socialize concepts to the organization
- Oversee the slate of departmental projects and initiatives
- Partner with research computing managers for status updates on projects and initiatives
- Liaison with the project and technology consulting team to ensure proper oversight for all research computing projects
- Assist the Associate CIO with external project-related communications and change management strategies
- Assist the Associate CIO with project proposals
- Work with the Service Management Office (SMO) and department technical leads to develop and communicate processes for valuing and measuring research computing IT services
- Work with the SMO and departmental technical leads to implement and improve Change Management, Problem Management, Event Management, CMDB, and other service management processes within RC
- Develop plans with departmental and service providers/vendors to enhance services based on user evaluations and quality measures
- Partner with OIT’s OE team to oversee and seek opportunities to enhance departmental effectiveness
- Partner with departmental managers to draft annual budget requests for new initiatives and strategic infrastructure investments
- Develop and execute a budgeting plan for special research computing funds
- Facilitate communicate across the department
- Coordinate and oversee annual allocation of funding for special initiatives and travel/training requests
- Help plan, coordinate and prepare for key departmental meetings
- 5 to 7 years of project management experience supporting technology implementations
- Strong understanding of IT Service Management
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to identify opportunities and solve problems creatively
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate and influence others
- Ability to assess and communicate a problem or goal, listen to and understand the interests of stakeholders, and successfully negotiate an end result that is agreeable to all
- Strong experience coordinating and overseeing a variety of projects and initiatives
- Ability to work effectively at all levels of an organization and influence others to progress toward a common goal
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- An understanding of the academic environment and the ability to work with faculty and academic researchers
- A commitment to fostering a diverse environment and an inclusive culture
- A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of IT management with operations experience at an institution of higher education.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent related work experience
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.