Assistant Research Officer, Department of Obstetric and Gynaecology
DEPARTMENT OF OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGY
POST LEVEL 9 (25 HOURS PER WEEK)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Research/intern student support activities;
- Managing the administration and progress of medical biological scientists’ internship according to the HPCSA curriculum;
- The scientific editing of postgraduate projects and preparing research related documents and communications from RBL;
- Liaising with appropriate University of Pretoria (UP) Faculty Departments (eg. Ethical committee) to support postgraduate and laboratory research projects;
- Assisting in the theoretical and practical training of students;
- Compiling reports for student internship progress & departmental research outputs;
- Arranging monthly appointments with biostatistician, as well as ad hoc meetings with external researchers/companies;
- The compilation and updating of the departmental research plan, database design and data capturing for departmental research staff when requested;
- Collating and quality control of departmental annual research outputs onto UPRIMS (InfoEd Research Management System) and resolving problems with the Research Office;
- General and financial Administration;
- Managing requisitions/purchase orders/payments via PeopleSoft;
- Keeping track of research cost point funds, processing general claims and conference advances on PeopleSoft;
- Monitoring and managing administration of grants, scholarships and donations;
- Overseeing and invoicing research funds/budgets and generate financial reports;
- Organising conferences for visiting lecturers or researchers;
- Assisting in the administration of UP assets and IT equipment;
- Assisting with annual ART procedural cost/patient calculations for Unit's budget related to UP funds and IT and capital equipment budget.
- BSc (Hons) degree (SAQA NQF level 8) with modules in Human Physiology or related field;
- At least 2 years’ experience in an academic laboratory research environment.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of human assisted reproduction;
- Proficiency in working with UP policies and the PeopleSoft system;
- Proficient computer skills, especially in sourcing e-books and research literature;
- Advanced scientific writing, communication and grammatical editing abilities;
- Proficiency in administrative organisation;
- Ability to engage with postgraduate interns/students for research teaching/training in reproductive biology.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- MSc degree (SAQA NQF level 9) in Reproductive Biology or related field;
- Training in Human Assisted Reproduction, with registration as Medical Biological Scientist (Reproductive Biology) at the Health Professions Council of South Africa
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 31.25 % of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 04 December 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Contact person: Natasha Müller Tel: (012) 356 3242 for application-related enquiries, and Contact person: Prof C Huyser Tel: (012) 354 2067 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 28 February 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.