Research Specialist I
Department Molecular Biology
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Name of Lab Myhrvold
Princeton University's Department of Molecular Biology seeks applicants for a Research Specialist position to join a laboratory focused on studying RNA using programmable, CRISPR-based technologies.
The Myhrvold Lab at Princeton University develops cutting-edge, CRISPR-based technologies to study RNA viral infection and RNA transcription, regulation, and localization. We are also developing CRISPR-based viral diagnostics and antiviral therapies with the aim of creating a rapid development platform for new viral diagnostics and therapies, in close collaboration with Pardis Sabeti’s lab at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard.
This position is a term appointment of two years with possibility of renewal contingent on performance and continued funding.
We seek a highly motivated individual to work closely with senior researchers within the Myhrvold Lab at Princeton University. The ability to communicate effectively, work well in a team setting, and a strong desire to learn new methods are required. The applicant will interact with members of the group assisting with molecular cloning, DNA/RNA preparation, qPCR, CRISPR-based RNA cleavage assay development, assay optimization, and Illumina sequencing. The position offers an excellent opportunity to participate in a dynamic research environment in an exciting fast-paced field of research. Your work will be central to several major research projects, including collaborations with other top labs at Princeton University, The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, and Harvard Medical School. This position will allow for professional advancement, skill development, and co-authorship on high-impact publications.
Other duties include:
- Training lab members to use laboratory equipment
- Assisting in maintenance of laboratory equipment and organization of lab workspace
- Training and orienting new laboratory members and visiting students during the onboarding process
- Assisting with ordering of supplies and reagents
- Lab safety officer
- Coordinating shipments of samples or reagents to and from collaborating labs or hospitals
- Bachelor's degree in the biological sciences, bioengineering or related field OR ≥3 years of related experience.
- 3+ years of undergraduate or postgraduate research experience in a laboratory setting.
- Ability to think creatively to solve problems,
- Proficient with molecular biology techniques.
- Experience with either RNA biochemistry OR viral work is desired.
- Strong computer skills desired.
- Experience with lab management desired
- High level of initiative and motivation; ability to work independently and with a team.
- Excellent communication, organization, and time management skills
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.