Department PPPL Information Technology
Category Information Technology
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Provide network engineering and telecommunications support for wired and wireless networks and telephone systems. Collaborate on selections for new technology offerings with other team members. Ensure availability and uptime for networking and telecommunications systems.
- 60% Provide network engineering support for core infrastructure and customer facing applications; review and respond to incoming trouble tickets. Troubleshoot wired and wireless network issues, including the use of router/switch command line, wireless controller, VPN systems, and Wireshark traces. Support projects with network engineering requirements. Support outages and failures as needed.
- 15% Provide support for telecommunications infrastructure, including Avaya analog, digital and VoIP/SIP phones, Motorola trunked radio system, and cellular booster systems. Create supporting documentation, procedures, and troubleshooting guides.
- 15% Assist with network and telephone daily adds, moves, and changes throughout office and Lab areas. Work with internal and external electricians to design new fiber optic connections/prepare statements of work. Complete punch downs on 66 blocks and update programming as needed. Maintain current data connection databases for office and experimental locations. Ensure changes are captured
- 5% Evaluate new telecommunications technologies and offerings; complete proof of concept testing and analysis, and make recommendations to management. Specific areas of interest include software upgrades, SIP trunking, redundancy testing, and emerging phone, radio, and cellular technologies. Work with team members on planning and integration of new designs.
- 5% Manage inventory of copper and fiber optic cabling, patch panels, fiber converters, data jacks, and cabinet installation hardware. Initiate orders to PPPL vendors as needed. Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. degree is preferred; B.S. in electrical engineering or network engineering is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 5 -7 years network engineering experience required;
- Experience with basic routing/switching technologies, wireless, VPN, SNMP management, and data mirroring required.
- Previous experience with telephone/PBX systems, including VoIP. Avaya experience is a plus.
- Fiber optic infrastructure experience preferred, including 100 gigabit technologies.
- Team player with good interpersonal/communication/writing skills and the ability to manage multiple projects.
Certificates and Licenses:
- CCNA required; CCNP preferred .
- Avaya certification is a plus
- Occasional lifting of IT equipment ~ 20lbs such as a desktop computer/server or computer monitor may
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.