Special Scientist, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING
Title: Special Scientist
No. of Positions: 1 (one)
Category: 36 months contract (part time 18 hours per month)
Location: Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Microwave Photonics Research Laboratory
Special Scientist Position in Integrated Microwave Photonics for Satellite Payloads.
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Cyprus (UCY), announces one vacancy for a part-time Special Scientist position in the Microwave Photonics Research Laboratory. The ideal candidate will have experience in photonics, RF/microwaves and antennas.
The aim of the post is to support the design and measurement of photonic integrated circuits for telecommunication satellite payloads, and specifically for mm-wave frequency generation units. The Special Scientist will report directly to Prof. Iezekiel, the Director of the Microwave Photonics Research Laboratory.
UNIVERSITY OF CYPRUS The University of Cyprus was officially founded in 1989 and started operating in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, in 1992. Within a short time, the University of Cyprus has managed to achieve international recognition through an impressive course of development. Today, it is ranked 64th best young university (under 50 years) and #351-400 worldwide by the Times New Higher Education Rankings. These and many other distinctions are the result of our dedication to excellence and continuous development. The recruited person will have access to the experimental facilities of both the ECE Dept. and the EMPHASIS Research Centre (http://www.emphasis.ucy.ac.cy/).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop Bragg grating mirrors for an InP foundry.
- Develop optical techniques for mm-wave signal generation.
- Testing of prototypes for frequency generation unit applications.
- Close interaction and collaboration with other researchers in the Microwave Photonics Research Laboratory.
- Collaborating and supporting the local team at UCY towards the implementation of research objectives.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related discipline.
- Relevant practical experience in microwaves, photonics (including integrated photonics) and antennas.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS: The period of employment will be 3 years (part-time), starting from 1st September 2020. The gross salary for this part time position (18 hours per month) is €234,99 per month (cost of employer €270,00). Employee and employer contributions will be deducted from this amount. The position does not include a 13th Salary bonus.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS:
Interested candidates should submit the following items, in PDF or Word format, via e-mail to Prof. Stavros Iezekiel (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) by the 18th of August 2020:
- Cover letter that specifies their employment availability date.
- A detailed curriculum vitae (contact address and telephone number should be included).
- Copies of degree certificate(s) and of transcripts.
- The names and contact details of two persons, of whom at least one is an academic, from whom references may be requested.
For more details and clarifications, you may contact Prof. Stavros Iezekiel, email@example.com.