Associate Professor/Professor, Department of Historical and Heritage Studies
FACULTY OF HUMANITIES
DEPARTMENT OF HISTORICAL AND HERITAGE STUDIES
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Department of Historical and Heritage Studies is one of the oldest and one of the leading Departments in the Faculty of Humanities. The Department offers programmes at the undergraduate (History and Heritage & Cultural Tourism) and postgraduate (History and Heritage & Cultural Tourism) levels. While these are offered as two distinct programmes in the Department there is a synergy between them as they strive to inculcate similar skills and attributes. Out of the very nature of its offerings the Department lends itself to interdisciplinary, multi-disciplinary and transdisciplinary research.
The department is inviting applications for full-time positions in History or Heritage and Cultural Tourism. Candidates should hold a doctorate in any of these disciplines at the time of appointment and be willing to contribute to teaching in undergraduate and post-graduate programs, as well as conduct research and publish in high impact journals locally and internationally.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Teach and develop undergraduate and postgraduate modules;
- Supervise Master’s and Doctoral studies;
- Take a leading role in research and teaching;
- Contribute to the research and publication output of the department;
- Assist with the mentoring of junior staff;
- Play an active role as an academic leader in the discipline at a national and international level;
- Contribute to fundraising and third stream income.
- A Doctorate in History or Heritage and Cultural Tourism;
- Academic status in the relevant discipline;
- A proven research and publications record;
- A proven undergraduate teaching record;
- A proven postgraduate supervision track record;
- Academic citizenship in academia.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Experience in high-level liaison with internal and external stakeholders and professional boards;
- International and peer recognition;
- Resource mobilisation, including fund-raising;
- Appropriate communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Managerial experience at a tertiary institution;
- A strong research record in one of the department’s research specialisation fields;
- International recognition and networks;
- NRF rating.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and go to About UP. Select Career Opportunities and select the position you want to apply for.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
CLOSING DATE: 20 August 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof Karen Harris: email@example.com (for queries about the position)
Ms Vicky Reynders: firstname.lastname@example.org (for application queries)
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 October 2020 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.