Research Fellow, Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering
The Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering (SCELSE) is a unique interdisciplinary Research Centre of Excellence (RCE), funded by National Research Foundation, Singapore Ministry of Education, Nanyang Technological University and National University of Singapore. Hosted by NTU in partnership with NUS, SCELSE is linking new insights from the life sciences with expertise from the emerging technologies in engineering and natural sciences to understand, harness and control microbial biofilm communities.
SCELSE is looking for a highly motivated individual to join us as a Research Fellow on a recently funded, highly multidisciplinary project on wastewater-based epidemiology.
- Develop, validate and implement methods for detection and quantification of human pathogens in wastewater leveraging platform technologies, including but not limited to PCR (dd, q, microfluidic) and next generation sequencing
- Analyse spatial and temporal patterns in pathogen-monitoring data, including abundance and genotype diversity
- Collaborate with colleagues in economics and the social sciences to explore costs and benefits of implementing wastewater-based epidemiology on large scales
- PhD in microbiology, environmental engineering or other related disciplines
- Competent in basic microbiology
- Possess the ability to follow standard molecular biology protocols
- Able to handle microbes competently and safely up to Biosafety Level 2
- Strong communication and data analysis skills
- Ability to write research reports and publications
- Experience with molecular assay development, optimisation and/or validation preferred
- Experience with one or more of the following platform technologies preferred i.e. qPCR, ddPCR, microfluidic PCR, next generation sequencing, nanopore sequencing, microarrays, lateral flow assay
- Familiarity with tools and methods for bacterial, viral genomic and metagenomic data analysis preferred
- Knowledge of epidemiology principals and/or wastewater engineering systems would be advantageous
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.