Lecturer - Think Tank
DEPARTMENT: THE XIPU INSTITUTION (THINK TANK)
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: public policy, public administration, economics, management, sociology, political science, urban planning
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: Salary is based on experience and qualification.
The scales for salary are:
Lecturer 5: 27,929 - 30,762 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 34,219 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Lecturer 4: 22,260 - 24,610 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 27,514 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Lecturer 3: 16,937 - 19,011 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 21,845 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: August 1, 2020
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: October 1, 2020
JOB ID: 996274
CONTRACT TYPE: Full time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The XIPU Institution (XIPUI) is a think tank that conducts policy-related empirical research which focuses on local development and industrial upgrading. XIPUI was established in October 2017 and was jointly funded by XJTLU, the Suzhou Municipal People's Government, and Suzhou Industrial Park Management Committee. XIPUI provides practical advice and suggestions to government which helps inform decision making and policy settings in the SIP and Suzhou. XIPUI utilizes the capabilities within XJTLU including the international work force, strengths in scientific research, and its international network, to unite high-end research talent and resources at home and abroad, to integrate professional knowledge across relevant government departments and strategic industries in Suzhou.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Applying for and undertaking policy research projects in the relevant fields
- Producing high-quality and influential policy briefings and proposals, current affairs reviews, project reports and academic papers
- Engaging with industrial partners, government stakeholders and other domestic/international think tanks for research collaboration, networking or promotion activities
- Supporting the Institution and the University’s conferences and events
- Teaching in relevant fields if required
- Other related academic and administration tasks assigned by the Director
- Proactivity and the ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong organizational skills
- Attention to details, able to prioritizes tasks and meet multiple deadlines
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and innovative.
- PhD degree in relevant research fields such as public policy, public administration, economics, sociology, or urban planning
- Experience in conducting high-quality policy and academic research, track record of refereed research publications would be highly regarded
- Consulting experience or government work experience preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication capabilities in both English and Chinese
- Experience or qualifications in teaching in a tertiary environment is an asset
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may not be eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Position you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.
Apply for Lecturer - Think Tank
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly