The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title
Technician, Research Laboratory C
Job Description Summary
The focus of the research is to understand how cyclical intermittent hypoxia affects lung cancer progression in mouse models of the disease. This individual will assist with breeding and genotyping mice, injecting mice with virus that turns on cancer or cloned cancer cells to turn on cancer, place them into cyclical intermittent hypoxia chamber and perform daily checks on the mice, harvest mice based on endpoints predetermined by the PI, perform all steps to preserve tissue with formaldehyde, cryopreserve and store at -80, slice tissue and obtain signals using immunohistochemistry, perform all steps to prep tissue or RNA/DNA/PCR/RNAseq work, perform all step for single cell prep and flow cytometry work, perform all steps for injecting mice with chemotherapy and induce an inflammatory response with LPS, harvest using a broncho-alveolar lavage, perform microCT scans on mice to assess tumor progression, use ITKsnap to segment the lung tumors, perform tests to assess cancer fatigue.
The person will be trained superbly in each of these techniques systematically. The highly motivated individual will earn authorship on research publications and present data at research meetings.
This position has an end date of 1 year with the possibility of extension and is contingent upon funding.
- Manage mice exposed to cyclical intermittent hypoxia, troubleshoot all issues with cyclical intermittent hypoxia and gasses, perform husbandry including breeding, ear tagging and tail clipping and separate mice, arrange mice into cages based on age/sex for experiments (25%)
- Wet bench experiments-make all solutions, purify DNA/RNA for PCR/RNAseq, run genotyping assays, prepare lung/heart, liver, kidney/adrenal glands, brain and spine tissue to then perform immunohistochemistry, perform single cell prep for flow, cell culture work for clone cells (25%)
- Perform microCT scans in mice with lung cancer and segment tumors using ITKsnap (25%)
- Perform injections of virus/clone cells to turn on cancer, weekly eye/tail/IP injections of chemotherapy, tracheal aspirations of LPS, broncho-alveolar lavage, harvest tissue based on experiments (15%)
- Log everything online, maintain all logs of surgeries and narcotics, assist with data cleaning/analyses (5%)
- Other duties as assigned (5%)
- This position has an end date of 1 year with the possibility of extension and is contingent on funding.
Bachelor's Degree Required, with 0-1 year of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Office, library, computer room, lab; Requires extensive safety training; Requires protective devices
Typically sitting at a desk or table; Occasional lifting 25 lb.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$16.23 - $29.21
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.