The Department of Architectural Engineering at the United Arab Emirates University is seeking to hire a research assistant in the area of sustainable urban development, with a focus on quantitative analysis of urban form and its ability to support alternatives to private automobile use for transportation. The research assistant should be knowledgeable of quantitative of urban form metrics (density, diversity, design) as well as street network analysis. The candidate should be able to prepare vector and raster datasets for morphological analysis in GIS and related CAD software, analyze these data using both standard metrics of urban form and dedicated network analysis packages. The candidate should also be able to synthetize these data. The preferred candidate should have demonstrated experience in urban planning, sustainable transportation, and/or urban morphology and have a master degree in a relevant field.
University degree in relevant field (urban planning, urban design, architecture) and evidence in support of the following:
- Skilled in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and associated data
- Skilled in the use of CAD systems
- Knowledge of street network analysis
- Knowledge of statistical methods
- Good technical writing skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to take the initiative and learn when executing the role.
- Willingness to transition to, or start as, a PhD student.
In addition to the qualifications outlined above the following skills would be considered an advantage.
- Familiar with UAE and GCC urbanization characteristics
- Familiar with UAE sustainability rating systems (e.g., Estidama)
- Significant knowledge about the academic literature on sustainable urban development
- Significant knowledge about the academic literature on non-motorized and sustainable transportation (walking, biking, transit).
- Familiar with the Peer Reviewed Journal publication process Special instructions: Please send Cover letter and CV to email@example.com
Division College of Engineering - (COE)
Department As.Dean for Research&Grad.Std.- COE
Job Close Date 31-12-2020
Job Category Staff