Research Support Assistant
The Caltech Graduate Aerospace Laboratory (GALCIT) and Center for Autonomous Systems and Technologies (CAST) are seeking an individual to work part-time over the summer on the computer science and software engineering portions of research projects involving autonomous multirotor drones and specialized "fan array" wind tunnels. The work includes both revising and extending existing code bases as well as designing and developing software from the ground up for new projects which span diverse sub–fields, outlined below. The Research Support Assistant is expected to work on-site during regular working hours.
- Design and train machine learning algorithms to autonomously operate wind tunnels.
- Document all software developed and changes made to the existing code base; includes the composition of instruction manuals accessible to users without a background in computer programming.
- Revise and maintain existing code base of wind tunnel control software.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proficiency in C/C++ and Python.
- Experience developing multi-threaded software and distributed systems that exchange data in real time.
- Experience with socket-level programming and basic networking protocols (UDP and TCP).
- Experience in micro controller programming (Mbed "Nucleo" boards are used).
- Experience using version control systems such as Git.
- Knowledge of closed-loop control systems.
- Knowledge of artificial intelligence (emphasis in neural networks and reinforcement learning algorithms).
- Exposure to physics --mechanics, electromagnetism and aeronautics.
- Basic electrical circuit analysis and design; some experience with oscilloscope operation is preferred.