Chair in Nuclear Engineering
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has three campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi the KU Main Campus, Masdar City Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter two housing the internationally renowned Masdar and Institute and Petroleum Institute, respectively.
The Chair is responsible for developing and implementing department plans and procedures as well as ensure the continuity of long-term planning and operational execution in educational, research, and administrative activities for academic programs.
- Contribute to the development of the Department's strategy, as well as annual business plans.
- Contribute to the development of the Department's policies and procedures, in line with the overall business objectives of the University, ensuring they promote leading practices and excellence.
- Contribute to the development and management of the Department’s budgets and report back on a timely basis to ensure that divergences are addressed promptly.
Academic Programs and Policies
- Work with Dean and Associate Dean to plan, develop, implement, assess and improve all academic policies for the Department which is aligned to the University’s Vision and Mission.
- Develops and delivers new undergraduate and graduate programs in the related field.
- Leads curriculum development for the department along with accreditation guidelines; works with faculty to establish learning objectives and outcomes; oversees assessment and ongoing curricular revisions based on assessment outcomes.
- Works with the Dean and Associate Dean to develop research plan based on priorities in order to contribute to the overall research plan of the College.
- Provides leadership to the research relevant to the Department.
Administrative & People Management
- Manages faculty and staff by clarifying job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising performance; coaches, counsels and actively participates in the departmental employees’ induction, mentoring and professional development.
- Schedules and assigns faculty workload allowing for an appropriate and differentiated mix of teaching, research, scholarship, and service. In consultation with the Dean and Associate Dean, actively works with the Office of Human Resources to recruit and retain high quality faculty and staff for the department.
- Communicates the College’s and University's strategic goals and new policy developments to employees of the department.
- Recommends promotions, salary adjustments and other personnel actions to the Dean and Associate Dean.
- Provide information or prepare reports as and when needed.
- Ensure adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensure coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by Line Manager.
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensure the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results.
- Carry out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommend necessary actions as per the applied practices.
- Conduct periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follow-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.
- PhD. in an appropriate STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline. Preference will be given to candidates with education from pre-eminent institutions of higher education.
- Full Professor with a minimum of 12 years teaching and postgraduate research experience, out of which at least 5 years should be at the level of Professor.
- Preferred experience in course design, development and teaching in a technical or management discipline along with 5 years and more of a research and scholarly activity.
- A record of leadership showing interpersonal skills and organizational ability, strong research background and funding records with recognized professional accomplishments in relevant academic department, and a commitment to excellence in teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels are required.
How To Apply
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).