Postdoctoral Fellow, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Khalifa University
Organization Name Electrical Engineering & Computer Science - Khalifa University
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology (KU) combines the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), the Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR) and the Petroleum Institute (PI) into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
Applications from recent PhD holders in the area of Embedded Systems design and Instrumentation are sought to support an interdisciplinary project funded by Khalifa University between the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering departments to develop a multisensory system. The appointment will be for 34 months and starts by September 2020. The project’s aim is substitute the actual costly chemical-based facility used for oil-water de-emulsification by a sustainable and environmental friendly solution, which consists of smart sensors and actuators, embedding state of the art algorithms of AI and machine learning. Real time performance, accuracy of measurement and separation efficiency would be the main target features of the system. Therefore, the successful candidate is expected to have a proven track record and leadership capability in hardware design (both digital on either FPGA, DSP, or GPU platforms, and sensor systems design), real-time programming, and hardware-software co-design. Even though the main target is to deploy the technology in oil fields to boost the oil production throughput at lower cost, other applications, which require real-time de-emulsification process, such as in food and pharmaceutical industries, can take advantage of the technology, which is sought to be developed throughout the project. The post holder will be located in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates).
The key strategic roles of the successful candidate would be:
- Embedded hardware system design and troubleshooting
- Embedded software design, troubleshooting, verification, and validation
- Coordinating different parts of the project with other postgraduate and undergraduate students
- Disseminating results through high quality scientific publications
- Attracting other funds(internal and external funds) related to the project
- Implementing testing tools to assess the performance of the system
The key operational roles of the successful candidate would be:
- Modify the existing multiphase flow loop to host experiments representative of an actual oil field
- Conduct extensive experiments on a multiphase flow loop for various fractions of oil, water, and gas to assess the performance of the sensors and actuators
- Data processing of the collected data using state of the art AI and machine learning algorithms
- Design of the embedded hardware system according to the certifications requirements of the zones where it is expected to be deployed
- Troubleshoot and extensive offline and online testing of the embedded hardware
- Ensure continuous maintenance and upgrading of the Multiphase flow loop
- Providing guidance of undergraduate, Msc, and PhD students who work on the project
- PhD Degree in Electrical & Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- Track research record in Embedded Systems design (both hardware and software design on FPGA, DSP, and/or GPU platforms is highly desired) and Sensor Systems design are highly desired. Familiarity with FEM tools such as Comsol is highly desired.
How To Apply
Kindly attach CV and research interest statement
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Apply for Postdoctoral Fellow, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Khalifa University
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly