Postdoctoral Research Position Archaeological Research Unit
Position title: Postdoctoral researcher
No. of vacancies: One (1)
Category: Contract for 12 months (September 1 st 2020 – August 31 st 2021) with the possibility of renewal of the contract up to a total of 18 months (28 February 2022)
Place of vacancy: Archaeological Research Unit, University of Cyprus, Nicosia
The University of Cyprus invites applications for the vacancy of one (1) postdoctoral research position at the Archaeological Research Unit.The selected candidate will work for the operation of the Graduate Program of “Digital Humanities” of the University of Cyprus and the production of research work that will arise from it under the auspices of the Chair of Silvia Ioannou on Digital Humanities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engagement in high-level research in two or more of the following research areas with emphasis in Archeology:
- GeoInformatics (Geophysical Prospection, Satellite Remote Sensing, Geographical Information Systems (GIS)).
- Photogrammetry, 3D representations and modelling, Virtual Reality
- Big Data, Crowdsourcing, Artificial Intelligence
- Computational methods, Statistical analysis, Network Analysis
- Support in the teaching process of the Graduate program of Digital Humanities (laboratories, practical training, etc)
- Writing of at least two article in peer-review scientific journals and publication of relevant results in collaboration with the head professor of the Chair of Silvia Ioannou on Digital Humanities and/or other related members of the research team
- Writing of at least one (1) Research proposal in collaboration with the head professor of the Chair.
- Candidates must have a PhD in one of the following or related fields: Landscape archaeology, geosciences (e.g. topography, geology, environment, etc.), natural sciences, computer sciences, Computer Informatics
- The doctoral degree should come from a recognised higher education institution.
- Candidates must possess excellent skills in their research field and in writing scientific papers and research proposals in the English language.
- Proven research experience (at least 3 years) in the above fields through their participation in European or international research programs.
- Programming skills.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- The contract is for a period of 12 months (127.73 hours per month), with the possibility of renewal for 6 more months. The monthly salary is € 2.088,77 (gross earnings, before taxes). The employee and employer contributions will be covered by this amount.
Postdoctoral researchers have the following rights and obligations:
- (a) They can use the equipment and the facilities of the University (according to the relevant Usage Rules).
- (b) They have the right to work under safe and healthy conditions.
- (c) They will work under the supervision of the head of the Silvia Ioannou Chair “Digital Humanities”, to whom they are accountable.
SUBMISSION OF NECESSARY DOCUMENTS
Candidates should submit the following documents:
- (a) Cover letter (in Greek or English) explaining the suitability of the person for the postdoctoral position announced.
- (b) Curriculum Vitae in Greek or English.
- (c) Copies of University degrees (BA/BSc, MA/ΜSc and PhD).
- (d) Names and contact details of two (2) referees (preferably academics).
The selected candidate will be asked to submit copies of his/her University degrees certified by the Ministry of Education (in cases of private and public Institutions in Cyprus) or from the Issuing Authority (in cases of Academic Institutions abroad).
All the above should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sunday, July 26th at 23:59 Cyprus local time (GMT+2), with the indication (subject) «Silvia Ioannou Chair for Digital Humanities - Post-Doctoral Researcher». For more information, potential candidates may contact Professor Apostolos Sarris, «Silvia Ioannou Chair for Digital Humanities at the email: email@example.com