Research Fellow, Machine Learning Safety
NTU Main Campus, Singapore
School of Computer Science and Engineering invites applications for the position of Research Fellow.
In this research project, the research team will explore the problem of achieving safety assurance for learning enabled components in safety-critical cyber-physical systems. A classic example is the object detection and classification component in an autonomous vehicle.
In this project, the research team specifically focus on two research problems in this area:
- Detecting out-of-distribution images efficiently at runtime so that appropriate fail-safe operations can be performed when images outside of the training space are encountered
- Probabilistic formal verification of learning enabled components using scenario optimization so that a high performance and high assurance safety controller can be designed
- Conduct research on high assurance techniques for efficient runtime detection of out-of-distribution images in vision based applications for CPS (training space characterization)
- Collaborate with and manage a team of PhD students and research assistants, including support for implementation activities related to the simulation platform and embedded test-bed
- Lead activities to produce research manuscripts
- Provide support in other project management activities such as procurement and reporting
- Work with a globally renowned research team in cyber-physical systems (https://cps-research-group.github.io/)
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related fields
- Research background and experience in the application of mathematical, particularly probabilistic, analysis techniques for reasoning about safety assurance in CPS
- Good research publications records
- Research experience in runtime techniques for detection of out-of-distribution images in vision based applications for CPS and familiarity with programming in C and Python will be an plus
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Hiring Institution: NTU