Deputy Director, Department of Finance
UP Professional and Support
DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 4
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for the University’s Accounts Receivable, Procurement and External Funds Divisions as well as the financial management of Residences and will include the following:
- Strategic and operational management;
- Budget planning and project management;
- Financial management and reporting;
- Compliance and governance;
- Risk management;
- Resources management.
- Chartered Accountant (SA);
- Eight years working experience in a senior role within a financial environment with proven experience in inter alia:
- Strategic Management;
- Budget planning and control functions;
- International Reporting Standards;
- Compilation of financial statements;
- Mainframe and/or ERP systems;
- Project management.
- Five years working experience in managing one or more Divisions within a medium to large organisation;
- Four years working experience in a management role within a higher education or research institute environment.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Relevant South African tax legislation;
- Management reporting;
- Application of IFRS standards;
- Accounting business cycles;
- Knowledge of Financial policies and procedures within a large organisation;
- Delegation Policy;
- Applied knowledge of IFRS/GAAP, as well as statuary legislation;
- Applied knowledge in taxation issues, particularly VAT;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Project management skills;
- MS Office, outlook and Gmail Computer Literate (MS Office, Outlook & gmail);
- ERP system such as PeopleSoft, ORACLE, SAP or equivalent;
- Accountability for own performance;
- Commitment to delivering value to line manager;
- Ability to work independently;
- Aptitude for working with numbers and accounting calculations;
- Self-motivated and disciplined;
- Business ethics and professional integrity;
- Excellent interpersonal skills: Interact with internal stakeholders, business and external stakeholders at the highest level;
- Administration and organization skills;
- Effective time-management skills, including the ability to prioritize and function under pressure;
- E-mail etiquette;
- Participative management style;
- High level of leadership skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Formal qualification in management;
- Three years’ experience in report writing for executives, senior management and external parties;
- Five years’ experience of financial management in a university environment;
- Five years’ experience of an ERP system, preferably PeopleSoft.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates will be required to participate in relevant skills assessments and are expected to make a 15-minute verbal (no technology) presentation to the Recruitment and Selection Committee as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 29 July 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms H van der Westhuizen, Tel: (012) 420 4028 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 October 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.