Department: Mechanical & Aerospace Eng
Category: Administrative Support
Full-Time / Part-Time: Full-Time
The Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering seeks an experienced professional to administer the graduate academic program. The Graduate Administrator acts as the interface between the Department and the constituencies with whom it interacts: graduate students, department faculty, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Graduate School, and other university administrative units. This individual reports to the Senior Manager, Finance & Administration and consults closely with the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) and the Department Chair to proactively identify and complete administrative tasks, raise issues requiring departmental intervention, and gather the information necessary to efficiently make required policy decisions.
The day-to-day activities of the Graduate Administrator include the following:
- Plan, coordinate, and execute administrative aspects of the Graduate Program and serve as the primary contact; serve as a resource for the DGS, the Chair, and the Senior Manager as well as department faculty, students and staff; manage financial support and monitor student awards and fellowships.
- Advise students and faculty on policies, procedures, and directives from the Graduate School; recommend implementation of new policies and inform on impact to current program.
- Manage the annual graduate admission and re-enrollment process; work with the Faculty Graduate Committee; oversee and administer all recruitment efforts.
- Support graduate students and monitor degree progress to ensure requirements and milestones are met; guide students in graduate program functions.
- Coordinate with business center staff on graduate student funding; in collaboration with DGS, Chair, and Senior Manager, coordinate AI assignments; data enter stipend and tuition distributions in Labor Accounting for AR and AI assignments.
- Deliver superior customer service in responding to student and prospective student inquiries.
- Monitor and update graduate program information on the department’s website.
- Schedule and participate in graduate committee meetings; facilitate committee requests.
- Plan and execute events for all graduate events such as general exams, final public orals, practice talks, professional development, orientations, commencement events, and other required graduate training
- Maintain complete and accessible records.
- Occasional evening work required.
- Other duties as assigned.
While detailed, responsibilities are not limited by this list. The finalist will demonstrate the ability to ensure the efficient functioning of the graduate office within the department.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills; attention to detail partnered with the ability to think and execute strategically
- Effective organizational and project coordination skills; responsive to deadlines
- Strong oral/written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to identify mutual interests and work collaboratively
- Ability to utilize current technology; proficiency in Microsoft Office product suite
- Ability to exercise judgment, maintain confidentiality, and handle sensitive information in a discrete manner
- May be expected to work on Memorial Day and Labor Day
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience in an academic setting
Preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to gather, analyze, interpret, and present data for various constituencies and purposes
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, resolving any issues that may jeopardize team success
- Prior University experience, including knowledge of University policies, procedures, and systems
- Experience with University enterprise systems such as Course Information System (CIS), Peoplesoft, Concur, Blackboard/Canvas, and Student Activity Funding Engine (SAFE); familiarity with Drupal
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.