Independent Member of Academic Council
7 days left
- Full Time
Job Profile Leadership Team - Governance
Contract Type Permanent
The Academic Council
The Academic Council is BPP University’s most senior academic body. It is comprised of no more than 23 members including:
- an independent Chair;
- five independent members;
- the Vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Pro Vice-Chancellor, and Deans (ex-officio);
- two elected student members;
- two elected staff members;
- up to six co-opted members.
The Academic Council meets three times per year and is supported by a range of sub-committees upon which independent members may be asked to sit.
The Role of the Independent Members
Independent Members ensure the Academic Council, and thus the academic governance of the University, is informed by broad, authoritative expertise and experience within higher education and the relevant professional and practice disciplines delivered by the University.
Independent Members will be remunerated at a rate of £750 per day. Reasonable expenses will also be paid.
For a confidential and informal discussion about the role and what it entails prospective applicants may contact:
Christopher Costigan, Dean of Academic Quality by email: email@example.com; or phone: 07500019210.
As a group, the Independent Members provide authoritative advice on:
- Higher education governance and management;
- BPP University's subject disciplines and the discipline-relate professions;
- Quality and standards;
- Learning, teaching and assessment;
- Diversity and inclusion; and
Department University Academic Services - Academic Services
Vacancy location UK, Nationwide, Nationwide
Applicants must be able to provide objective and authoritative expertise and advice on at least two of the areas listed in paragraph 4. For this post, we would especially welcome applicants with expertise in legal education and the legal profession.
In their particular field or area of expertise independent members will:
- have a track record of sustained leadership in their field;
- have reached the rank of professor or equivalent professional status;
- have a track record of operating at a senior level within their institution (e.g. have held, or hold, the role of Dean, PVC, DVC or above or equivalent);
- be in good standing with their professional body, where relevant.
Independent members are asked to commit to approximately 12 days per annum.
- Attending Academic Council meetings (usually in person; 3 days per annum (including reading time))
- Attending sub-committee meetings (meetings are held online for 1-2 hours each. The total expected time commitment is 4 days per annum) (including reading time);
- the Academic Council away-day (1 day with dinner, usually in London);
- chairing occasional University programme approval panels (2 days per annum (including reading time));
- providing advice to the Dean of Academic Quality, Vice-Chancellor and Chair of the Academic Council (1 days per annum); and
- Graduation Ceremony (1 day per annum).
Contract Hours 0.00
Salary 750 per day
Full Job Description
Independent Members Role and Person Specification June 20.pdf (98 Kb)