Scientific Research Assistant
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Organizing and executing analytical work central to examining the isotopic contents and structures of n-alkanes from natural gases; data processing and interpretation; preparation of scientific report and lead authorship of peer-reviewed scientific publications derived from this work. Analytical work will be performed in the laboratories for stable isotope geochemistry. This is a 6 month term position.
- Receipt, organization, and archiving of gas samples.
- Chemical purification of n-alkanes from gas samples.
- High resolution mass spectrometric analysis of n-alkanes.
- Processing and interpretation of mass spectrometric data.
- Review of current literature relevant to the study of the stable isotope geochemistry of natural gases.
- Preparation of written and oral reports of results.
- Preparation of peer reviewed publications based on results.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in geochemistry and at least 2 years of relevant postdoctoral research training.
- At least 2 years of experience with clumped and site-specific isotopic analysis of n-alkanes.
- Knowledge of the geology and geochemistry of natural gas accumulations, and of the stable isotope geochemistry of organic compounds.
- Skill at operating high-resolution isotope ratio mass spectrometers, including the Thermo Fisher Ultra.