Yale Catering is looking for banquet servers to join our team in creating memorable dining experiences for our guests. To accomplish this, we rely on employees committed to delivering superior customer service. A world-class catering organization, Yale Catering produces events for members of the Yale University Community including international dignitaries, esteemed faculty, staff and students. Banquet servers serve plated, table service meals, setup buffets, passed appetizers, serve beverages and most importantly, provide hospitality and service to our guests. This is an on call position only, and we are specifically looking for candidates who are available to work day shifts or afternoon/evening shifts. Shifts may start as early as 5am and end as late as 12am 3-4 days/week.
This job posting is to build a pool of potential applicants interested in current or future Banquet Server employment opportunities. Please note your submission will be reviewed and you will be contacted should there be an opportunity to explore your candidacy further.
- Provides world class hospitality and customer service throughout events.
- Sets up and breaks down events including: banquet props, tables, chairs, buffets, table linen, silverware, glassware and china.
- Replenishes food and beverage stations throughout events.
- Executes table service meals including wine and coffee service.
- Performs side work including: polishing silverware and glassware, filling condiments and coffee service items, assists in loading and unloading of catering trucks.
- Cleans dining rooms and event spaces.
- Provides cleaning and organizational support during catered events to minimize trash and ensure buffets and beverage stations stay clean, neat and organized.
- Communicates in an unambiguous manner customer requests to management and event leads. Provides customers with detailed and accurate information on food and beverage offerings.
- Supports a safe work environment by following work rules and safety guidelines.
- Supports event service and logistics needs with the support of catering management and lead staff.
Required Education and Experience
High School diploma or GED.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear, pleasant, grammatically correct and professional manner.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to follow recipes and other detailed instructions.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to meet and serve customers in a polite and friendly manner.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to work flexible schedules, as requested by the department.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
- A passion for food and hospitality.
- Experience working in the food and/or hospitality industries.
- Neat in appearance and work habits and comply with proper dress code as designated by the department.
- Sustained standing. Frequent bending.
- Moves both arms and shoulders as necessary while working with equipment and/or materials.
- Independently moves, lifts and carries supplies, equipment, and materials weighing up to 60 pounds, from floor to waist height, and 50 pounds from floor to shoulder height.
- Carries supplies up or down stairs if necessary.
- Pulls and/or pushes Busco carts and/or containers etc.
- Works in confined areas with wide temperature variations.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus