Director, Data, GIS, Statistical Support Services
Reporting directly to the AUL for Science, Social Science and Medicine, the Director for Data, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and Statistical Support Services (“Director of DGS”) provides leadership in shaping the Library’s future and strategic directions for services and programs to support CSSSI DGS programs, including data, GIS, and statistical analysis support, through consultations and instruction, as well as systematic analysis and assessment of these services. Managing staff members who engage directly with faculty, students and researchers, the position works with Library colleagues and faculty to innovate, design, pilot, implement, promote, and assess user-focused DGS services in support of the Library’s mission and in response to a rapidly changing scholarly environment and evolving teaching and research programs.
The Director is responsible for expanding awareness of Library DGS services and program initiatives to the entire campus community and creating partnerships with Library and University stakeholders to implement best practices in research support, outreach, and teaching. The Director evaluates the DGS services and policies of the CSSSI and establishes and implements plans for continued development and improvement while coordinating these programs with those of other libraries on campus. The Director manages all aspects of CSSSI DGS programs including relevant program budget administration, hiring and supervision of Data and GIS librarians and the Statistical Support Manager, maintaining relevant academic department and research support unit relationships, services usage monitoring, and marketing. The Director actively collaborates with colleagues from other Yale University Library (YUL) units to develop and maintain related DGS services and programs and serves as the CSSSI’s representative for DGS support to the Council of Research Services and Collections. As a member of the CSSSI management team, the Director for DGS works in close collaboration with the CSSSI Director of Collections, Access and Technical Services, and Technology and the CSSSI Director of Research Support and Outreach Programs to formulate plans for current and future research support services, instructional programs, technology support, and the promotion of all CSSSI services.
The Director collaborates with the directors of Research Support at the Medical Library, the DHLab, the YCRC (Yale Center for Research Computing), ISPS (Yale Institution for Social Policy Studies), and other units on campus that provide support for data, geospatial, and statistical support services. This position chairs the University Research Data Support Services group comprised of relevant staff members from across the Library and other university units.
This position will be assigned a rank of Librarian 3 to 5 based on a combination of professional experience and accomplishments. Librarian ranking information can be found at http://bit.ly/YULRanksPromotions .
- Provides strategic leadership and vision for the data, GIS and statistical support services programs
- Designs projects and brings them to conclusion in a timely manner
- Manages librarians including hiring, training, setting priorities, evaluating, and advising on staff development.
- Engages with deans, chairs, faculty and students in support of the University’s teaching and research mission.
- Collaborates with colleagues throughout the Yale University Library and other campus units.
- Works independently with varied user groups in a complex organization and team environment.
- Collaborates with library staff engaged in development efforts.
- Plans and implements marketing and assessment processes.
- Serves on Library and University committees.
- Participates in professional activities outside of Yale and monitors developments and best practices elsewhere to encourage innovation and ensure the excellence of the Library.
- May be required to assist with disaster recovery efforts. May be assigned to work at any Yale University location.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Master's degree from an ALA accredited library school or an advanced degree in a related field and relevant library experience.
- Strong commitment to responsive, innovative research support and outreach service programs.
- Demonstrated experience with data, geographic information systems, and statistical support.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff and designing and coordinating projects and bringing them to a timely conclusion.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively and independently with various groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing team environment.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Minimum 5 years significant, progressively responsible professional work in research services & teaching support in an academic or research library, including direct provision of services to patrons.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated experience in academic library service programs. Ability to engage staff in development & delivery of new user-centered services. Demonstrated experience with data, geographic information systems, and statistical support. Demonstrated understanding of the scholarly research lifecycle.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability in managing, supervising and developing professionals & support staff in an academic setting. Demonstrated leadership ability in managing teams & projects in an academic research library.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Strong written & oral communication skills and interpersonal skills with ability to establish positive, productive collaborations with all stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to work successfully and collaboratively with groups of scholars & colleagues. Demonstrated ability to adapt and collaborate in a rapidly changing environment.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrated excellent oral and written communications and analytical ability. Demonstrated excellent customer service skills; flexibility and a strong commitment to innovation, creativity and excellence. Demonstrated problem solving skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience working with academic-level research services and collections. Knowledge and experience with technology for research and teaching. Undergraduate or graduate degree in the sciences or social sciences. Advanced degree and teaching or research experience. Experience managing a branch library or library department. Knowledge of assessment techniques and trends in academic libraries.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus