Research Fellow, Public Finance and Cryptocurrencies
- Join a newly formed team of researchers in the Blockchain Innovation Hub
- Convenient CBD Location
- Academic Level B ($96,564 - $114,672) + 17% super
- Fixed-term, full-time position until July 2023
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
The Blockchain Innovation Hub is a newly formed interdisciplinary team of researchers in economics, political-economy, organisational theory, law, sociology, politics and communications. They work on crypto-economics, business strategy and adaptation to blockchain technologies, mapping the blockchain economy, and identifying the public policy challenges that will hold back or accelerate this economic revolution.
Find out more about the Blockchain Innovation Hub at https://rmitblockchain.io/
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
When you join our team, you'll be able to access a range of benefits. From travel to fitness, there's something for everyone.
About The Role
The Research Fellow will work with research teams and partnerships in the Blockchain Innovation Hub on the Australian Research Council Discovery Project 'Public Finance and Cryptocurrencies (DP200101808). The project aims to analyse the impact of cryptocurrency technology on taxation and the provision of public goods in Australia in order to provide guidance to Australian and international policymakers about how to prepare for potential disruptions to taxation and public goods provision. The position will carry out independent and/or team research which has a significant impact in the area of their specialisation and be acknowledged at a national level as being influential in expanding the knowledge of their relevant discipline.
We are looking for someone who has an emerging track record and recognition for quality research outputs which will contribute to the Blockchain Hubs research areas evidenced by publications, development of new research initiatives, competitive research funding, and industry links. You will have the ability to mentor and/or supervise higher degree by research candidates and to build effective networks with colleagues and generate alternative funding projects through effective liaison with industry and government.
Familiarity with the economics of cryptocurrencies, central bank digital currencies, and corporate digital currencies (such as the Facebook-led Libra consortia) is strongly recommended. In addition, excellent interpersonal and communications skills appropriate for interacting with higher degree by research candidates, staff and industry, together with a strong commitment to teamwork and multidisciplinary collaboration will be highly regarded.
Mandatory: PhD in relevant field
Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
Were proud to share with you some of our wins:
- RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member with Bronze Award accreditation and the College of Science, Engineering and Health is central to driving improvements in gender equality, diversity and inclusion, particularly in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) disciplines.
- We are ranked #1 in the world for our efforts to reduce inequality in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020.
- RMIT University is placed 10th in overall Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020, rocketing up from 82nd place in 2019.
- We placed 11th in the 2019 Talent Board APAC Candidate Experience Awards.
- RMIT was placed 10th in the 2019 Randstad Employer Brand Research Awards, up five spots from 2018.
- We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019.
- We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and now in 2019.
- We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
- The launch of our second Reconciliation Plan, Dhumbah Goorowa- a "commitment to share" - an important step in our reconciliation journey.
For further information please contact Professor Jason Potts - Economics, Finance & Marketing on 03 9925 5873 or alternatively Chris Berg - Senior Research Fellow - Economics, Finance & Marketing on +61 402 257 681.
Applications close on Tuesday 14th July 2020.
Applicants are requested to separately address the key selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description.
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request(s)
This role will require satisfactory confirmation of a Working with Children Check.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.