Business Systems Analyst 2
The OREO Business Analyst will develop a detailed understanding of business processes used in the operation of one or more areas within Office of Research Administration and will be the “resident expert” in the use and configuration of the systems supporting operations. The role will partner with the primary contact for customer support for one or more of the IRES applications. They will act as an escalation point for system and business process issues and must be able to analyze and develop solutions for a wide range of business process and system issues in support of user needs, at all levels of the University, in a timely and efficient manner.
Creativity, the ability to multitask and, the capacity to switch focus quickly and as needed, are required for this position. The person in this position must have a capacity to understand technical concepts but be able to communicate in a non-technical manner with functional users. The role will collaborate closely with the OREO Senior Business Analyst to ensure the development of consistent business architecture across the research enterprise at Yale.
- Work with business users to define and analyze problems and align the most suitable technical, application or configuration solutions.
- Evaluate business processes, anticipating requirements, uncovering areas for improvement, and developing and implementing solutions.
- Organize requirements into related categories to effectively and efficiently manage and communicate them.
- Analyzing stakeholder needs by translating business requirements into software requirements.
- Consider the business implications of the application of technology to the current and future business environment.
- Ensure solutions meet business needs and requirements.
- Solicit, develop, document and manage requirements and provide detailed design and business rules to support the requirements throughout the project life cycle up to and through change control.
- Lead ongoing reviews of business processes and develop optimization strategies.
- Act as liaison between business stakeholders, such as management, customers or end users, and the software development or information technology team.
- Prioritize initiatives based on business needs and requirements.
- Conduct meetings to elicit requirements
- Present to senior leadership and other groups during all phases of a project
- Document and communicate all information obtained during requirements gathering
- Monitor deliverables and ensure timely completion of projects
- Review system test plans and system tests modules before implementation.
- Create, review and deliver end-user documentation (user guide, process flow charts, training materials).
- Work with the user to select or create appropriate scenarios to test all results to determine whether system changes met project specifications; use scenarios to assist the end user in acceptance testing.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in business, technology or related field. Four years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Exceptional analytical and conceptual thinking skills including a strong desire to understand problems, identify, implement and support solutions. The ability to influence stakeholders and work closely with them to determine acceptable solutions to their business process challenges.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Exceptional communication (written and interpersonal) skills including but not limited to documentation such as project charters, project plans, business requirements, change management plans and user documentation. In addition, the capability to synthesize information to present to a variety of audiences.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to lead a project from conception through implementation and ongoing support including acting as business analyst, project manager and decision maker as appropriate. Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with both internal and external partners and stakeholders.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to quickly develop familiarity with policies and procedures in research administration and apply new knowledge to business process, system design and configuration.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Advanced Microsoft Office skills including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Visio.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience with research administration business processes and systems.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus