Senior Director, Intellectual Property
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases.
The laboratory of Dr. Jim Wilson, at GTP of the University of Pennsylvania, has been a leader in the development of innovative vector technology for close to three decades. We have emerged as the “go-to” organization for public and private partners, who want to participate in the gene therapy space. Currently, we are positioned to lead another round of vector innovation and establish pre-clinical and clinical proof-of-concept in therapeutic applications of in-vivo genome editing.
Continuation of all GTP positions is contingent upon funding.
Due to our success, we are currently seeking an experienced Senior Director, Intellectual Property (IP) to serve as in-house IP counsel to develop and execute GTP's IP portfolio and global patent strategy.
As the Senior Director, IP, you will partner with various functions throughout the organization to protect GTP's IP and while providing patentiability, freedom-to-operate, and other legal opinions and risk assessments. You will embed yourself within the programs science, understanding GTP's programs and platform requirements to develop and execute strategies protecting IP related to our gene therapy platform technology development and therapy discoveries. you will manage the IP operations internally and collaborate with outside counsel, along with Penn Center for Innovation, managing timetables and docketing systems for filing IP, and preparing/prosecuting patent applications to build and expand our robust IP portfolio.
As a top candidate, you will have a strong background in life science research & development, with a deep understanding of US patent law, regulations of USPTO, and contract terms regarding IP protections. This role requires a motivated and experienced individual that shares GTP's commitment to bringing new therapies to rare disease patients quickly.
- J.D. degree, admission in good standing to the state bar, or related field with 5+ of hands on experience drafting and prosecuting biotech/pharma patent applications,, in a legal firm and/or biotech is required. Ph. D. or advanced science degree in life sciences strongly preferred.
- Must have an excellent bio-pharma patent preparation and prosecution skills.
- Must have strong scientific acumen with a business pragmatic focus Gene Therapy patent expertise a plus.
- Track record of working with external partnerships with pharma or biotech and maintaining joint IP Demonstrated track record of filing applications and maintenance.
- Must possess advanced knowledge of patent-related domestic and international laws, regulations, and processes.
- Strong preferences for candidates admitted to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Must have a creative, collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Must be highly functioning, detail-oriented, and analytical candidate who can think strategically while working in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills required.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$126,841.00 - $240,998.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.