Aboriginal Health Practitioner, Research
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
Centre for Aboriginal Medical and Dental Health
- Be part of a collaborative project devoted to improving the brain health of older Aboriginal people
- Level 5, 0.6 FTE part-time appointment on a two-year fixed term basis
- Salary range: $70,693 to $78,354 plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
The Centre of Aboriginal Medical and Dental Health was established to assist the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences to promoting the concept of holistic health care and cultural security in relation to Aboriginal health and health care practice, research and learning.
The Centre is located at Bilya Marlee building on the main UWA campus, however this position will be based at the Moorditj Koort Aboriginal Health and Wellness Centres in Medina and Cockburn.
As an Aboriginal Health Practitioner, you will contribute to a project aiming to improve the brain health of older Aboriginal people. As part of a team you will facilitate and support older Aboriginal participants to attend and take part in twice weekly Dementia Prevention & Risk Management Program (DAMPAA) healthy lifestyle sessions, assist in building and strengthening the research partnership with Moorditj Koort, assisting with the recruitment and screening of research participants, conduct health screening and complete data collection with eligible Aboriginal community members, data management, facilitating research participant’s engagement in the project and keeping accurate records.
This is a unique opportunity to utilise, learn, develop expertise and contribute to improving the health of older Aboriginal people. You will work as part of a collaborative team where your ideas, experience and initiatives will be valued.
To be considered for this role, you must possess:
- Aboriginal Health Practitioner qualifications
- Relevant experience as an Aboriginal Health Practitioner
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Highly developed organisational skills and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Proficiency in a range of computing skills including word processing, internet and email
- Ability to work closely and respectfully with older Aboriginal community members, Aboriginal health services and other stakeholders
- A current Western Australian driver’s license, access to a vehicle and occasional travel within Perth will also be required.
The successful applicant will be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. This position is being advertised under Section 50 (D) of the WA Equal Opportunity Act. Aboriginality is a genuine qualification for this position.
For further information regarding the position please contact Mr Alex Lalovic, Study Coordinator, on +61 8 9224 4515 or email@example.com.
Closing date: 11:55 pm AWST on Thursday, 9 July 2020
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Full details of the position’s responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the Position Description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our strategic objectives.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2019).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020