Research Associate, Education Improvement Programme
2 days left
- Full Time
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 09 July 2020
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
This position involves research design, data collection, analysis, documentation and dissemination of research findings for different audiences using a range of media. It also involves the development, modification and implementation of instruments that can be used for the assessment of learning outcomes, quality of teaching, effectiveness of learning inputs, management and monitoring and evaluation. The Research Associate will also provide training to ensure effective use of the designed instruments.
The position will involve travel to urban, rural and high-mountain schools as well as engagement with a multitude of actors.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a research strategy based on the strategic plan for the EIP;
- Conceptualise research studies through both quantitative and qualitative methodological approaches;
- Conduct literature reviews;
- Develop research tools, analyse data and present findings/results to help inform programme decisions;
- Maintain accurate records of all data, safeguard the confidentiality of subjects throughout the process; and provide ready access to the data when required;
- Clearly communicate findings to all stakeholders using appropriate media;
- Disseminate findings to the educational community through presentations at conferences and publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Identify research funding, prepare materials for submission to funding agencies and prepare interim and final reports for programme officers and funders;
- Work with teachers to develop instruments that can be used for assessment of learning, quality of teaching and effectiveness of learning inputs, train and supervise use of the instruments to ensure effectiveness of use and data collected;
- Facilitate the conduct of a situational anlaysis/needs analysis of each partner school, design instruments and use them to collect data, independently analyze data and build profiles around each school’s context, strengths and needs;
- Support the development of strategies to meet individual school needs;
- Identify and implement indicators to measure program success at various junctures;
- Support further initiatives or projects that may arise, and propose research suited to studying them;
- Actively seek to build intra- and inter-institutional relationships/partnerships to strengthen and further the program’s research and education improvement agenda;
- Stay up-to-date with relevant academic and intellectual developments in the field;
- Prepare presentations, mid-term and final reports, and journal articles for dissemination.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in education or the social sciences or equivalent education research experience;
- At least three years of research experience that demonstrates capacity for independent research both quantitative and qualitative as evidenced in published research;
- Experience of using computer software packages for data analysis such as SPSS and NVIVO;
- A working knowledge of databases, Office 365 and statistics;
- Good written, verbal and intercultural communication skills;
- Ability to take an initiative from conception to realization of the research;
- Experience in developing proposals for research funding;
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of education projects/programmes;
- Experience in delivering research training;
- Fluency in Russian and English;
- Ability to manage logistical details within a larger conceptual framework;
- Ability to form and maintain long-term professional and institutional relationships;
- Commitment to ethical professional engagement; and
- A willingness to travel to rural and high mountain schools (30% of the time).
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to AKDN Career Centre by July 9th 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.