General Supervisor Diagnostic Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The General Supervisor's primary role is to provide oversight to a new CLIA Certified diagnostic lab. This individual will work closely with the Laboratory Director to ensure there is a high quality diagnostic testing, a safe work environment, and compliance across all aspects of the laboratory. The General Supervisor provides assurance that the lab staff adheres to Princeton University's core values, safety and compliance policies and procedures. This individual provides day-to-day supervision to oversee technicians performing high complexity testing and is accessible to testing personnel at all times testing is performed to provide on-site, telephone, or electronic support. This individual is responsible for providing direction, training, supervision, performance evaluation and overall management of up to 10 technical specialists. Adheres to Princeton University’s core values, safety and compliance policies and procedures.
This individual needs to have qualified as General Supervisor for a high-complexity diagnostic laboratory (42 CFR 493.1461). Performs and oversees proficiency testing and complex clinical testing including but not limited to Nucleic acids extraction, and qPCR and ensures the proper use of all protocols by laboratory testing staff. Monitors test analyses and specimen examination to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained and fulfills certain responsibilities as delegated by the Lab Director and/or Technical Supervisor. These may include: Resolving technical problems and ensuring corrective actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratories. Evaluating and documenting the performance of all testing. Provides oversight of patient test results in collaboration with campus partners including, but not limited to University Health Services, Environmental Health & Safety, and Research & Integrity Assurance).
This is a 2 year term position with possibility of an extension.
GENERAL SUPERVISION OF PERFORMING DIAGNOSTIC TESTING
- Ensure testing staff effectively performs complex clinical diagnostic testing including but not limited to Nucleic acids extraction, and qPCR and ensures the proper use of all protocols by laboratory testing staff.
- Prepare biological material for downstream genetic testing and analysis.
- Maintain a clean and safe laboratory space
- Ensuring proper record keeping by laboratory members, including laboratory notebooks
- Provides general supervision and oversight of laboratory technicians including providing direction, setting expectations, following policies, establishing schedules, providing training, supervision, performance evaluation and overall management
- Collaborate with other campus partners for intellectual contributions
ENSURE REGULATORY COMPLIANCE
- Adheres to Princeton University's core values, safety and compliance policies and procedures.
- Perform data entry on samples received in the lab.
- Maintain daily/weekly logs and QC documents for assays and equipment.
- Assures the accuracy of all tests performed by adhering to the laboratory's Quality Control Standard Operating Procedures.
- Identifies and reports Reportable Quality incidents to Laboratory Director.
- Attend relevant lab trainings/webinars
- Overseeing temperature monitoring/alarm systems
- Organizing lab safety, preparing for inspections
- Ensuring proper reagent and strain storage
ORGANIZING EQUIPMENT REPAIR AND REPLACEMENT
- Calibrate instrumentation, validate quality of assay, and perform cleaning, maintenance, alignment procedures, quality assurance assays, and troubleshooting on equipment
- Support inventory maintenance by monitoring inventory levels of reagents and consumables, providing alerts when needed.
- BA Degree in a chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science or medical technology from an accredited institution-and 7 years of relevant lab experience
- Experience as General Supervisor for a high-complexity diagnostic laboratory (42 CFR 493.1461) CLIA
- Highly motivated, dedicated, tenacious, problem solving attitude; demonstrated ability to troubleshoot complex experiments; outstanding precision, accuracy, meticulousness and organization; excellent communication skills (oral, written and pictorial); outstanding time management skills.
- Experience with laboratory management.
- Experience with data analysis
Master’s degree in a chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science or medical technology from an accredited institution, plus experience with the application of qPCR for infectious disease detection is preferred. Experience with purchasing and implementing laboratory automation equipment is a plus.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.