Systems Administration, Associate
The Owens Valley Radio Observatory is a world class facility operated by Caltech for research in radio astronomy and cosmology. Capabilities extend from 20 MHz up to millimeter-wave frequencies, and observations extend from our sun out to the early universe. With an extensive computer network for control, data collection, and analysis we have a opening for an IT Administrator. Additionally, there are opportunities for developing code for telescope and instrument control.
The network includes Linux servers and workstations, Windows workstations and laptops, and LAN-based test equipment. The successful applicant will work with engineers and scientists on site, and IT staff on campus, to maintain operating systems, network configuration and security, and file servers. Additional tasks will include maintaining backups and websites, and assisting users with Windows and Linux IT issues.
In addition to the IT responsibilities, there will be opportunities for a well-qualified candidate to contribute to the software development for observatory projects.
The Observatory is located in the Eastern Sierra, which affords an excellent environment for outdoor activities, including hiking, fishing.
Under minimal supervision
- Maintain security and functionallity of Linux systems
- Maintain the site network, including wired, wireless, and fiber optic connections
- Manage VLANs, gateways, firewalls, etc.
- Back up important data and files
- Assist users with computer accounts, email, VoIP, and other issues
- Upgrade computer and network hardware as required
- Contribute to software development for observatory projects
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or engineering, or related field
- At least four years of experience in IT administration
- Expertise in the Linux CentOs and Ubuntu operating system
- Familiarity with networking management, including DHCP, DNS, NAT, OSPF routing protocol
- Cisco certification or extensive experience
- Knowledge of Linux LXD containers
- NAS and RAID technology experience
- User/group management
- Backup systems and strategies
- PXE setup
- Web servers (Apache, Nginx)
- Set up and use of version control systems (Git, Gitlab, CVS)
- Familiarity with NTP, Samba and SSH
- Device management
- DevOps Tooling
- Filesystems: btrfs, Ceph
- CI installation/setup
- Wiki Setup
- Time Series Database Setup/Tuning - InfluxDB
- Familiarity with Windows operating system
- Knowledge of C++, Java or HTML 5, LabVIEW, Matlab, MySQL, Python, CANbus, Puppet
- Cover letter
- List of 3 references