Research Technician Assistant
The Research Technician Assistant will provide technical assistance and support to the Caltech Protein Expression Center. These duties will include expressing proteins in insect, bacterial and mammalian cells, protein purification and carrying out protein assays such as ELISA, using specialized techniques and plate readers; collecting, processing and analyzing research data. The successful candidate will follow Institute and regulatory agency (e.g. OSHA, NIH, etc.) standards, safety practices and scientific protocols
- Under general supervision, work from verbal and/or written instructions and established operating procedures to accomplish routine protein expression purification analysis and assay execution and report results to researchers by keeping a well organized lab notebook (documentation in electronic files is a requirement). Maintains cell lines, purifies proteins using AKTA and runs western blots.
- Maintains lab stocks of reagents and supplies, orders supplies, makes buffers and ensures that lab equipment is cleaned and sterilized. Manages online ordering system and sets/manages prices for online ordering. Keeps track of all protein expression orders and fills out paperwork for clients, invoices clients and confirms payments are current.
- Demonstrates familiarity with maintaining cell cultures and molecular biology experience. Participates in providing feedback towards the effectiveness of standard operating procedures and is actively involved in rewriting or adopting new ones.
- Applies knowledge of laboratory and/or equipment maintenance calibration and other testing and reports malfunction to appropriate research staff.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- Prior research/lab experience in protein expression and analysis (PAGE, Western Blot, Chromatography, Tissue/Cell Culture).
- Good lab organization skills.
- Prior experience with ELISA assays, bacterial protein expression/purification and mammalian and/or insect cell based expression of recombinant proteins a plus.
- Basic computer skills required (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). VP, Python and other programming skills a plus.