Research Associate, Geography/Geology/Environmental Science
The Earth Observatory of Singapore is seeking a motivated research associate who specializes in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) applied to the environmental sciences. The research associate will develop and manage a geospatial database for dams in Southeast Asia and be a member of the Global Geomorphologic Research Program. He/she will work with the large rivers research group and coupled human-natural systems group, under the supervision of Profs. Edgardo Latrubesse and Janice Lee, respectively.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform GIS/RS analysis for fluvial geomorphic research (e.g. DEM processing, satellite products (MODIS/Landsat, radar images, etc), geomorphic/geologic mapping, morphometric analysis, surface processes, floods hazards, and hydrological data derived from GIS)
- Perform GIS/RS analysis for land-cover change research (e.g. use satellite products such as MODIS/Landsat, etc. to conduct land-cover classification and change detection to quantify deforestation and quantify forest-to-agriculture land-use-change)
- Literature reviews and data mining from websites or documents from different sources
- Organize and process results, report to PI and any other ad-hoc duties as assigned by PI
- Masters in geography, geology, environmental science or related fields
- Capability to handle large-scale geospatial data and to conduct spatial analysis using GIS and remote sensing software
- Knowledge on DEMs (such as SRTM) and their processing/analysis
- Experience in some general environmental analysis such as web data mining (from governmental or non-governmental agencies), literature reviews and basic statistical analysis
- Skillsets to identify necessary RS data, download and process to derive final products such as land cover maps, flood maps or morphometry
- Willing to conduct field work overseas when necessary
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Well organized and proactive/positive attitude in working as a team
We regret only shortlisted candidates will be notified.