Lecturer in Structural Engineering, in particular reinforced concrete
Full-time Lecturer in Structural Engineering, in particular reinforced concrete
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is seeking highly qualified full-time lectures in Structural Engineering, in particular reinforced concrete. Candidates must hold a PhD in this field or a closely related field and have a strong background in research. Lecturers meeting our requirements will become part of an extensive network of German and international universities and research institutes.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will work as a scientific expert in Structural Engineering, in particular reinforced concrete. She or he will teach and conduct research in this field.
Teaching comprises initially lectures on Construction Materials, Building Construction, Geo Information Systems, and ultimately Reinforced Concrete for the undergraduate program in Civil Engineering. Teaching for other related programs at VGU is possible. Lectures should reflect current research methods and results. The teaching workload will be limited to an average of 8 academic hours per week.
Relevant fields of research and project experience include, but are not limited to structural engineering, construction materials and reinforced concrete.
The candidate is expected to contribute to the development of the study program Civil Engineering, also through participation in administrative, marketing and other public activities of the program in consultation with the study program coordinators and the German partner university Biberach University of Applied Sciences. This also includes support in setting up the materials and concrete laboratory at VGU.
The candidate should significantly contribute to the scientific profile of VGU. This includes comprehensive activities in basic research as well as applied research and development, in cooperation with industry in Vietnam.
Generating externally funded research projects, supervising bachelor and master theses and mentoring PhD students pursuing doctoral degrees are an essential part of the lecturer’s duties.
The teaching, research and working language at VGU is English.
Candidates must hold a PhD in Structural Engineering, in particular reinforced concrete, or a closely related field, preferably from a well-known international university. A current title of Professor will be a plus, as is experience and understanding of the German higher education system and methodology.
Prerequisites for the recruitment include but are not limited to:
- An outstanding academic record with a focus on Structural Engineering, in particular reinforced concrete or other areas closely related to it;
- A university degree in Civil Engineering;
- An excellent doctorate dissertation;
- A history of proven teaching experience;
- Candidates must have proven excellent English speaking and writing abilities.
The following is also desirable for qualified candidates:
- Previous publications in international and peer-reviewed journals;
- Special achievements in the application or development of scientific knowledge and methods in at least five years of professional practice, of which at least three years have been spent outside the university sector;
- VGU expects its lecturers to establish their own research agenda. Therefore, a demonstrated ability to obtain funding is desirable, as well as good contacts to the local and international market;
- Experience in guiding PhD students;
- Strong self-motivation combined with a passion for and commitment to teaching.
Successful candidates will become part of a professional and interdisciplinary group of faculty and have access to state-of-the-art laboratories. VGU supports lecturers with attractive start-up endowments for quality research projects. VGU also supports participation in national and international conferences and publishing of research papers.
Our lecturers also enjoy a rich cultural experience and a dynamic teaching environment through inquisitive and quality students.
VGU offers competitive salary, local medical insurance policy and annual leave days with pay.
Contract type: Full-time fixed term with the option of a permanent contract
Application Process: To apply please send your application (with following documents in a PDF or MS Word DOC (in English, max. size: 5 MB) with
“Your name_Applied position” written in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application should include:
All applications will be reviewed and evaluated by VGU's international Recruitment Committee.
- A cover letter stating your interest in joining VGU
- Curriculum Vitae (including list of publications)
- Scans of relevant university degrees and other certificates
- Scans of language certificates
- References illustrating your professional and academic career including contact details of references (if available, highly appreciated)
- Evaluation results for teaching (if available)
- Form for basic information (Please download and complete this form electronically, then send together with your application)
The review of applications will continue until the position is occupied.
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr.-Ing. Alexander Glock (Academic Director) via e-mail at email@example.com and/or Dr.-Ing. Jörg Franke (Academic Coordinator) via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is a Vietnamese state university. Founded in 2008, VGU is a joint venture based on a close cooperation between the Federal Republic of Germany and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, with the goal of becoming the leading research university in Vietnam and the region.
VGU´s strategy is to customize excellent German study programs in the fields of engineering, natural sciences and economics to meet the needs of Vietnamese higher education. Being a joint effort of Vietnamese and German institutions, VGU follows the successful German model and standards concerning the academic and administrative structures.
Apply for Lecturer in Structural Engineering, in particular reinforced concrete
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly