Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules in the Department;
- Supervise final year undergraduate project students and postgraduate Honours, Masters and/or PhD students;
- Conduct research as a member of a research group in the Department and publish in leading accredited journals;
- Raise and manage additional funding from national and international funding agencies and industry to support the activities of the relevant research group;
- Expand existing research programmes or initiate new research programmes;
- Perform assigned departmental duties (e.g. of an administrative nature).
- A BEng/BScEng degree from a university of which the undergraduate programme is recognised by the Washington accord or is recognised by ECSA to be equivalent;
- A Masters’ degree in Civil Engineering that follows on the previous qualification;
- Publications in accredited journals or conferences;
- Appropriate working experience either in academia and/or industry.
Senior Lecturer (Same as for Lecturer, plus):
- A PhD degree in Engineering that follows the previous qualification;
- Two years tertiary education experience or 2 years related industry experience in an advanced technology area where direct innovation and involvement is demonstrated through reports and designs;
- Expertise and research experience in one or more of the specialist areas of the research groups in the Department;
- A proven research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals;
- A record of previous undergraduate and/or postgraduate teaching experience.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Show the ability to teach large undergraduate classes (> 150 students);
- Candidate must preferably be registered or registerable with the Engineering Council of South Africa or registered as Candidate Engineer;
- Applicants must have an appropriate NRF research rating or be legible to apply for an appropriate rating;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have teaching and research expertise that complement the Department’s needs;
- Experience relating to: Data science, civil engineering design; civil engineering practice and integration of engineering sciences;
- Civil Engineering contracts, economics, or water engineering postgraduate qualification/experience.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 13 July 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof WJvdM Steyn, Tel: (012) 420 2429 / 082 219 9704 / email@example.com
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.