Postdoctoral Fellow, Mechanical Engineering at Khalifa University
Organization Name Mechanical Engineering at Khalifa University
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR), and the Petroleum Institute (PI) into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Postdoctoral, experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
The successful Post Doc candidate is expected to lead the design, develop and validate an innovative on-chip photonic sensing platform based on graphene-sensitized mid-infrared nanophotonic waveguides for spectroscopic monitoring of blood pattern changes in ICU patients. The platform will enable the monitoring of blood biomarker patterns and underlying physiological processes signalizing improvement or deterioration of the patient condition. Infrared spectroscopy has proven its potential as a reliable tool for probing biomarkers for various diseases via plasma, serum, and blood cell samples.
The successful candidate needs to demonstrate a high degree of multidisciplinary with top expertise in the field of infrared spectroscopy, optic system development, and nanofabrication will develop a unique nanophotonic mid-infrared sensing/monitoring lab-on-a-chip platform enabling enhanced blood profiling to accurately and dynamically evaluate the biochemical status of patients via molecular blood biomarkers, thereby assisting health personnel’s diagnostics.
The successful candidate is expected to be able to contribute to the following:
- Direct Graphene Growth: Overall Objective: Direct Growth of Graphene on III-V materials
- Modelling for optimization of graphene transfer Wet/Dry: Overall Objective: To model by means of DFThe effect of liquid on the surface energy due to the transfer process used
- Waveguide development: Overall Objective: To design and develop waveguide geometries for precise blood plasma measurements.
- Self-cleaning graphene surfaces and graphene nano-structures for signal enhancement: Overall Objective: To develop self-cleaning and absorption-enhancing graphene surfaces for clinical use
- Modelling for optimization of slot waveguide and graphene surface properties: Overall Objective: To model infrared absorption enhancement and sample adhesion at graphene surfaces to support the design of waveguides and novel graphene surfaces for infrared measurements.
Interdisciplinary PhD Degree in Engineering with expertise in Photonics, Nanofabrication, Infrared Spectroscopy, Optic System Development Engineering.
- 4+ years research experience including PhD. A previous Post doc is a plus
- Must be able to independently organize, direct and manage a research team to meet project targets. Proven track record of publication & strong presentation skills. It is important the candidate has extensive experience with nano fabrication tools
How To Apply
Please attach CV and Research Interest Statement
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Apply for Postdoctoral Fellow, Mechanical Engineering at Khalifa University
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly