English Language Centre, Instructor/Lecturer
6 days left
- Full Time
The English Language Centre is making significant investment in new academic positions to support its strategic development within the next five years to enable the department to be an active player in the field of English Language.
The recruited post-holder will endeavour to contribute to the success and the growth of the Centre, especially in the areas of English for Academic Purposes.
VACANCIES AVAILABLE: 1
DEPARTMENT/CENTRE: English Language Department/English Language Centre
JOB FAMILY: Academic
TYPE OF CONTRACT: FTE 1.0
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours/Week (Normally 08:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Sunday – Thursday)
PLACE OF WORK: University of Kurdistan Hewlêr
REPORTING TO: Coordinator of the Centre
APPOINTMENT DURATION: 3 Years
PROBATION: 6 Months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application is open until the position is filled
JD VERSION: 180520-2
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To be able to comfortably deliver at least three modules in the field of knowledge to foundation students and to participate in designing modules and programmes in English Language whenever required to reflect the latest developments in the subject area(s). This should be done in accordance with the University quality enhancement policy and processes, in addition to professional body requirements and with the aim of creating interest and learning amongst students.
- Design and implement appropriate assessment methods corresponding to targeted learning outcomes in the module descriptors, ensure established standards are maintained and timescales adhered to. Provide support, counselling and tutorials to students.
- Stimulate the students to have the opportunity to be engaged and challenged.
- Provide constructive and timely feedback to students and other stakeholders and advise on areas of concern and suggest improvement.
- Provide general support to students with scheduled office hours, tutorials and follow up on student attendance and progress.
- Actively participate in academic and administrative committees formed on departmental, school and university levels.
- Contribute to the administrative/management tasks (i.e. marketing, student recruitment, chairmanship of the departments, module co-ordination, etc.) as and when required.
- Contribute to the daily running of the PTE Select Testing Centre as and when required including dealing with customer enquiries.
Additionally, the selected applicant is to undertake any other Teaching & Administrative reasonable duties to commensurate with the nature of the post and as requested by the line manager.
- Contribute, where appropriate, to knowledge transfer, leadership, public service, income generation and consultancy activities of the University.
- Although conducting research is not a contractual requirement for ELC staff, we highly encourage staff to conduct action research as well as participate in relevant online webinars and conduct frequent peer observations to share best practice.
- Staff members are encouraged to apply for grants for research proposals and projects in order to strengthen the performance of the individual staff member and the team.
The post-holder should have the following qualifications, skills and competencies:
- All candidates in teaching capacity who are fresh PhD holders, are appointed as Lecturers. Candidates from the Kurdistan Region and Iraq with no teaching certificate, will be offered a three-month training to obtain such a certificate while other candidates will be required to present a recognized teaching certificate as part of their employment documents.
- Fresh PhD holders must have 2-3 publications in standard journals relating to their degrees.
- Candidates with a Master’s degree or equivalent can be employed as Assistant Lecturers.
- Instructors from the Kurdistan Region and Iraq would be required to successfully complete a six month teaching certificate. They are also given a period of five years to publish a minimum of two papers in preparation for promotion to Lecturer. Beyond the five-year period, if unsuccessful, instructors would be taken out of the teaching staff.
- Foreign Instructors would be required to present a recognized teaching certificate as part of their employment documents.
- A recognised teaching certificate at university level or a minimum of the CELTA or equivalent.
- Fluency in English language - reading, writing and speaking (ability to teach in English). For those who are not native speakers, a valid English proficiency test document is required.
- A consistent record of teaching general English at reputable institutions.
- A consistent record of teaching in English for Academic Purposes.
- The ability to comfortably teach across the foundation programme (3 – 5 modules) at a range of levels.
- A strong knowledge of English language teaching and EAP specifically.
- Interpersonal, planning and organisational skills.
- A good team player with the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds.
- Commitment to high quality teaching and fostering a positive learning environment for students.
- Commitment to continuous professional development and income generation.
- Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to email@example.com by indicating the specific Vacancy Title: ELC Instructor/Lecturer and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
- An Application Form is available at ‘Vacancies’ on the University website (http://www.ukh.edu.krd).
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.