Program Manager, Microbiome Therapies
6 days left
- Full Time
What is Stanford ChEM-H?
Stanford ChEM-H is a new interdisciplinary institute focused on connecting Chemistry, Engineering, and Medicine for Human Health. The institute was founded as a joint venture of the Schools of Medicine, Engineering, and Humanities and Sciences. The proximity of world-class biologists, chemists, engineers, and clinicians at Stanford presents a unique opportunity to study human biology at a molecular level, to translate this knowledge into groundbreaking products and services that promote healthy living, and to educate a new cadre of “physician-scientist-engineers” who will lead a rapidly evolving industry.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to coordinate a new DARPA-funded project to design and develop microbiome-based therapeutics. You should have a scientific background, experience in microbiology and synthetic biology, familiarity with the process of drug discovery and development, and excellent time management and organizational skills. You are a proactive self-starter, are comfortable with autonomy, and embraces opportunities to tackle new problems and challenges as part of a dynamic team in a start-up-like environment within the University.
In this position, you will be a member of the Stanford ChEM-H operations team, reporting to the Scientific Program Manager of the Stanford Microbiome Therapies Initiative (MITI). You will work closely with ChEM-H faculty fellow Michael Fischbach to implement and administer the vision, strategy, and goals of a new collaborative DARPA-funded research initiative. You will play a critical role in coordinating the technical and operational staff supporting the program, faculty leadership, and other key stakeholders. You will work with MITI to realize the clinical goals of this bold translational research project. Each day will bring a new set of objectives as you:
- Coordinate a complex research program including managing data, establishing processes and policies for the program, and making recommendations to faculty and MITI leadership for program improvements.
- Collect and analyze data about the program and formulate and evaluate alternative solutions and/or recommendations to achieve the goals of the program within set timelines.
- Leverage microbiology or synthetic biology research expertise to make operational and technical suggestions.
- Regularly update MITI leadership on program successes and challenges, and leverage MITI’s resources to progress toward the program’s translational research goals.
- Write and edit content for both technical and non-technical audiences, including summarization of research results for faculty and DARPA program officers.
- Represent the program as the key contact and subject matter expert to DARPA and within ChEM-H; develop communications for internal and external constituencies.
- Organize regular program meetings and advisory meetings and facilitate efficient communication between the different research teams participating in the program.
- Analyze expenses and monitor budgets and program finances, making recommendations on funding plans based on data trends and assisting participating research groups with finance requests.
- Orient and provide mentorship to new staff and trainees involved with the program.
This is a four-year fixed term position with the possibility for conversion to a regular continuing role based on project funding.
*Please note this position will require the following:
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- Some local travel
- Occasional overnight travel within CA and out of state.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Engineering, or Biology
- Two or more years of relevant microbiology or synthetic biology research experience; or combination of education, training, and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated oral, written, and analytical skills, exhibiting fluency in area of specialization.
- Ability to oversee and provide basic direction to staff.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
- Ph.D. in microbiology, chemical biology, synthetic biology, chemical or bioengineering, or a related scientific field.
- Research experience related to the microbiome.Prior experience in technical and nontechnical writing.
- Familiarity with funding agencies and academic research funding sources
* - The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your cover letter should briefly describe your background and interest in this specific position.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4111
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: H
- Requisition ID: 86759