Director, Campus Physical Development and Services
JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY
To provide overall leadership and management of Campus Physical Development Department and Campus Services. Ensures the effective operation of the University facilities management operation, projects and planning for university development and fit out needs. Travel Services unit (international travel, hotel accommodation and services, ground transportation, vehicle fleet management), the University Business/Service Centers (copying/duplicating, mail, office and classroom supplies and materials), University Switchboards, contract services (food services, convenience shop) and overseas the Conference Center. Supervises and develops the Campus Services Team to ensure high level of service and efficient departmental operations.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
Must meet campus facility requirements in an effective, efficient and timely manner ensuring high quality and cost effectiveness within limited available space and existing resources. Lead the development and completion of complex, large projects in Dubai and Abu Dhabi Effectively represent the University with external stakeholders. Ensure successful operation of campus services and convention center management.
- Provides strategic and tactical leadership on large-scale University projects as directed by university needs and management.
- Leads the development and update of campus master plans, the University’s facility plan and contributes to development of University’s capital budget(s).
- Through the Facilities Project Manager, provides overall leadership to construction, renovation projects and facilities related operation such as security, soft services MEP maintenance.
- Annually updates Department’s strategic plan and develops Department’s operating plan and budget.
- Represents Department in University’s management structure and processes, including the strategic planning process.
- Management of CPDS budget including proper and timely utilization of allocated budget.
- Develops policies and procedures to ensure effective, efficient and safe operations of Department and University facilities.
- Ensures that the design and construction of renovation and construction projects meet University requirements, and are completed within budget, per specifications and on schedule.
- Ensures that facilities meet appropriate quality and safety regulations and standards and University needs.
- Ensures Department operates within University and Department regulations, policies, procedures and budget, and exhibits best professional and business practices.
- Ensures professional management for campus services including travel services, business center and convention center.
- Ensure effective management of university retail outlets and food services on campus.
- Develops a unified facilities University system to facilitate campus space and building changes, maintain accurate facilities inventories and “as built” drawings, support budget development and tracking, and support strategic planning.
- Through Facilities Management, provides overall leadership to the effective operation and maintenance of University facilities and building systems.
- Ensures facilities and building systems are operated and maintained in an effective and efficient manner.
- Oversees contracts for building systems maintenance, custodial, grounds maintenance and other contracted services.
- Oversees university services need and present to retail committee, and ensures management of business center, travel services and convention center.
- Represents the University and establishes effective working relationships and partnerships with University’s complex network of external contacts including consultants, contractors, public agencies, businesses and professional bodies.
- Establishes effective working relationships with the internal University community to ascertain their facility requirements.
- Recruits, supervises, evaluates and develops Department staff. In particular, manages Supervisor Facilities; Facilities Project Manager, Campus Services Managers and Department office staff.
- Works with University and government officials in the development and completion (design, tender, construction, commission and University occupancy) of new campus facilities.
DEGREE OF INDEPENDENCE/COMPLEXITY OF ENVIRONMENT
Infrastructure and facilities must keep pace with increase and needs of employees and students. Requirements must be met in an effective and efficient manner. Complex opportunities will need to be exploited towards University needs given existing resources and available space.
Operates independently and regarded as a senior University professional and departmental leader who requires minimal direction. Ability to make decisions on a variety of issues including engineering, architectural, environmental, structural, ergonomic, economic, administrative, and aesthetic.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS/IMPACT OF INTERACTIONS
Effective interaction with a variety of individuals sometimes working under stressful circumstances.
Regular interaction with senior management and University community is essential when establishing and finalizing requirements for new and ongoing projects.
Maintains close contact throughout negotiations with contractors, consultants through regular visits.
Meets with government officials, Abu Dhabi and Dubai Municipality, Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority and Dubai Water and Electricity Authority officials.
Maintains contact with other universities and professional bodies for exchange of ideas.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Should possess a minimum of a Master’s Degree in engineering, architecture or related field and 15 years professional experience, where 5 years’ experience are in senior management experience, or an equivalent combination of education or experience.
University or equivalent experience highly preferred.
Project Management understanding and experience.
Knowledge of Health and safety is required.
Experience in the Middle East and bilingual language skills (English – Arabic) is ideal.
Leadership & Managerial Accountability - Engages others to work together towards a shared vision and common goals; Makes effective decisions, achieve outcomes and results
Communication -Able to share information in an effective & collaborative manner, both verbally and in writing.
Customer & Service Focused - Demonstrates a spirit of service excellence
Results & Action Orientation - Demonstrates initiative to generate improvements and foster positive outcomes.
Builds Effective Interpersonal Relationships - Demonstrates interpersonal effectiveness in the workplace.
Knowledge & Technical Competency - Demonstrates proficiency in technical and job knowledge aspects of the position to achieve high level of performance.