Accessibility Specialist, Student Accessibility Services
The Student Accessibility Services seeks an incumbent for the position of Accessibility Specialist, responsible for the administration of the operations and activities of the Student Accessibility Services ensuring it is in line with the stated goals, vision and mission of the division. Proactively promotes the awareness about the Student Accessibility Services to encourage the acceptance of special needs students amongst the teaching community of Zayed University. Provides educational support and social guidance for students with disabilities.
- Establishes and maintains professionally appropriate criteria and procedures for determining eligibility of Zayed University students for disability accommodations and services.
- Advises faculty and administrators of legal responsibilities and establishes procedures for compliance.
- Provides support and inputs for strategic planning, and assistive technology equipment management—for the department.
- Works to improve campus accessibility to ensure the safety of students with disabilities.
- Provide assistive technology and ICT training for students with disabilities to ensure independent access to education.
- Maintains a confidential and secure database of all students with disabilities and create reports for the management, when required.
- Serves on committees as deemed appropriate and represents the department at university functions and engage in special projects, as requested.
- Visits schools to promote the Student Accessibility Services Department to encourage students with disabilities to join Zu.
- Introduce prospective students, parents and faculty to the services available at the Student Accessibility Services Department.
- Develops a motivational plan for students which includes orientation and mobility training to help them adjust in university environment to ensure their safe and independence.
- Actively promotes the Assistive Technology and its uses for students and faculty.
- Updates and maintain devices, equipment, and software at all times.
- Liaises with faculty members and other departments to ensure the delivery of curriculum to students with disabilities in an accessible format which is based on students’ specific learning styles.
- Provide training and orientation for instructors about the educational needs of students with disabilities.
- Provide support for the teachers to meet curriculum objectives.
- Adapt classrooms printed material by producing alternative accessible formats for students with special needs.
- Provide evaluation for special needs students and decide on the proper accommodation.
- Follow up progress of students with special needs throughout the academic year
- Interacts frequently with both internal and external university stakeholders including but not limited to Students, Faculty, Staff, Administrators, and Parents/Family Members.
- The quality of the interactions with each of these stakeholders will have a direct impact on the success of the program.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Special Education, Information Technology or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Relevant professional experience in administering services for individuals with disabilities to include identifying and implementing student accommodations is also required.
- Demonstrated understanding of UAE disabilities law.
- Demonstrated understanding of developmental issues facing university students from a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated knowledge of disability assessment, accommodations, services and assistive technologies.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills; strong planning and facilitation skills.
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the U.A.E., housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.