Professor/Associate Professor and Head of Department, Paraclinical Sciences
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF PARACLINICAL SCIENCES
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Faculty of Veterinary Science invites applications from persons complying with the relevant requirements for the position of Head of Department. The Department of Paraclinical Sciences is one of five academic departments of the Faculty of Veterinary Science. The Department comprises four sections representing the primary disciplines of Pathology, Pharmacology, Toxicology and Veterinary Public Health. The Phytomedicine programme is also hosted in the Department. While each individual section is responsible for the maintenance and development of their respective disciplines, they function as a unit in pursuing the Departmental mission. Several laboratories are also located in the Department. The Section of Pharmacology and Toxicology also serves as an information centre for veterinary drugs and animal poisonings. The Faculty is therefore seeking a dynamic leader for a permanent appointment on Associate Professor or Professor level and a four-year term as Head of the Department.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- The strategic and operational management of the Department;
- Planning and managing the academic and research programmes of the Department;
- Promoting academic excellence in teaching and research;
- Recruiting and managing staff of the Department and promoting their continuous development;
- Managing the Department’s budget and raising funds for departmental activities;
- Aligning the vision and programme of the Department with the broader vision of the Faculty and the University;
- Providing and/or facilitating mentorship of young academics in the Department; and
- Offering leadership in transformation initiatives.
- A veterinary degree and registration with the SAVC or eligibility to register;
- A PhD appropriate to the disciplines within the Department;
- Recognised academic status in the Paraclinical sciences (pharmacology, toxicology, pathology or veterinary public health) through outstanding research and a strong publication record; and
- Substantial and demonstrable experience in managing academic, research and technical support staff.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, communication and negotiation skills;
- Experience in high-level liaison with internal and external stakeholder and professional bodies;
- Experience in grantsmanship; and
- Managerial experience at a tertiary, research or diagnostic institution.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- National Research Foundation (NRF) rating as a research scientist.
- Registration as a specialist with the South African Veterinary Council or equivalent.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online, quoting the applicable reference number.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A complete and updated Curriculum Vitae;
- A self-evaluation by the candidate, addressing each of the minimum requirements, competencies and added advantages for the position;
- The candidate’s vision for the Department;
- Details of three contactable referees, including referees who can attest to the candidate’s academic and/or leadership qualities.
Candidates may be expected to make a 15 minute presentation to the Appointments Committee on their vision for the Department.
By applying, candidates agree to the appointment process as set out in the relevant UP policy document. This process can be accessed at http://www.up.ac.za/services/personnel/policies/w113E.doc.
Although candidates will be appointed permanently as Professor or Associate Professor, the headship is a fixed-term appointment of four years.
CLOSING DATE: 17 July 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms DM Ntlwana, Tel: 012 529 8501 for application related enquiries and contact Prof CJ Botha, 012 529 8023 for enquiries relating to post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2020 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.
More searches like this
- Veterinary Science Senior Management & Heads of Department jobs in South Africa
- Veterinary Science Heads of Department jobs in South Africa
- Veterinary Science Academic Posts jobs in South Africa
- Veterinary Science Professors / Chairs jobs in South Africa
- Veterinary Science Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in South Africa