Clinical Intake Specialist
This position reports directly to the Manager of the Molecular Diagnostics Lab providing a high level of administrative and technical support in a clinical area. This position is responsible for receiving and accessioning of all incoming specimens, blocks, and slides for the Dept, front desk reception duties, case resolution, requests for additional materials, data entry into all software programs to ensure proper tracking and monitoring of all cases. This position is responsible for following all Molecular Diagnostic testing procedures and techniques as it relates to the requirements necessary for each test and must have extensive knowledge of specific diagnostic terms and tumor classifications in order to determine necessary testing procedure.
This position requires the ability to identify inaccurate or questionable information from Pathology reports/requisitions, and provide excellent problem resolution as it relates to high quality patient care. This position will provide the same high level of collaborative support as needed to Cytology as it relates to dual clinical responsibilities within the Molecular Lab.
- Perform case intake/accessioning of all specimens into the Pathology Information System(s).
- Enter each case with accuracy, verify demographics, physician information and collection location.
- Provide outreach for necessary requests, accession materials, and route specimens/blocks to appropriate service areas.
- Prepare specimens, blocks, slides, etc. for routing to appropriate laboratory area and/or Pathologist for diagnosis.
- Initiate laboratory test requests/ordering of special stains and slides including ancillary testing.
- Track problems/changes during case in-take and make the necessary corrections/amendments.
- Provide pre-review of all accessioning cases prior to submitting to Pathologist.
- Triage and prioritize all accessioning cases and/or referrals for specialty services, and all other duties within the Case Management area.
- Troubleshoot and resolve all issues in a timely and efficient manner.
- Work with Manager/Supervisor to create and develop Standard Operating Procedures for all related workflow processes.
- Maintain up-to-date records of pathology reports, specimen materials and cases marked for quality assurance.
- Ability to accession blocks, slides and specimen materials.
- Enter patient data and specimen data information into the laboratory information system to assign the specimen to the correct patient.
- Examine all submitted materials/specimens and requisitions/reports for completeness and verification of the patient’s identity prior to accessioning specimens.
- Ability to file all submitted slides and blocks until returned as consultation slides, blocks, etc.
- Standard Slide Send out requests via phone, fax, e-mail.
- Tracks and monitors specimen send outs on Excel spreadsheet.
- Delivers to fruition all send out requests for Pathologists.
- Phone inquiries regarding all Pathology reports, letters, etc.
- Provides follow-up regarding cases sent out for internal doctors, outside doctors, and patients.
- Completes all tasks related to hospital billing and legal cases.
- Performs additional duties as required.
The following Essential Duties are generic in nature. The information in this Position Focus is most relevant to the position.
- Oversees and coordinates administrative, program, and office activities. Establishes, selects, implements, and coordinates office procedures and systems. Serves as principal source of information to students, staff, and faculty on policies, procedures, programs, and office activities.
- Oversees, instructs, and coordinates activities of support staff. Oversees the preparation of materials for grants, contracts and budgets. Monitors expenditures and reconciles financial statements.
- Provides editorial support for a journal/publication. Proofreads and edits material for grammatical and factual accuracy. Tracks copy through various editing and production stages. Communicates with authors, printers, and others concerned with published work.
- Determines administrative, facility, and equipment needs for symposia, lectures, seminars, and conferences. Assembles and arranges for necessary items. Determines sources of data. Compiles, synthesizes and manipulates data. Summarizes findings and writes reports or portions of reports.
- Greets visitors. Answers and screens telephone calls. Assesses nature of business. Responds to requests for information and provides assistance. Screens and responds to mail.
- Formats, keyboard, proofread, and edits correspondence, reports, manuscripts, grants, and other material. Assembles attachments and corresponding material. Reviews outgoing material for completeness, dates, and signatures. Composes substantive correspondence and written material.
- Coordinates travel arrangements. Schedules and coordinates meetings and appointments. Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. Takes minutes or dictation. Performs additional functions incidental to office activities.
Required Education and Experience
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate's degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor's degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Expertise in medical terminology, human anatomy. Demonstrated proficiency with laboratory terminology as well as experience working in a laboratory environment.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proven ability of Filemaker Pro, Excel, CoPath, Path Portal, as well as excellent IT skills with both Mac and Windows systems. Demonstrated ability using EPIC as an interface with CoPath.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability to follow directions and established protocols.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Excellent attention to detail and accuracy with numbers and ability to multi-task, prioritize and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Strong computer software skills (Outlook, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Internet Library Resource, Endnote, etc.), academic and research procedures. Minimum of six months experience in accessioning and working in a Molecular laboratory.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus