Research Fellow, Earth Observatory of Singapore
4 days left
- Full Time
NTU Main Campus, Singapore
The Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) invite applications for a post-doctoral Research Fellow (RF) to work on a range of seismological projects in but not limited to SE Asia.
The main tasks of this position is to use and/or develop the state-of-the-art techniques, including AI and Machine Learning, to address critical scientific questions regards to faulting (e.g. earthquake or tremor) and/or velocity structure imaging, aiming at better understanding of plate tectonics and fault physics. The candidate will be able to use the high performance computer cluster with 2000+ CPU cores and 5 GPU servers (8 V100 on each server) and datasets collected by a dense 200+ short period seismic array
- Source study. Detect earthquake or tremor from a regional seismic network, refine earthquake catalog and interpret the seismicity for fault physics and tectonics. Conduct waveform inversion to precisely determine earthquake focal mechanism, source time function and rupture process, and make geologic and physical interpretation to the results.
- Velocity structure study. Regional to local scale tomography (travel or waveform), receiver function and surface wave inversion, detailed fault zone and basin structure imaging. Anisotropy inversion and scattering analysis.
- Expected to publish the scientific outcomes of their research in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Actively participate in the various seismologic and tectonic -related education and outreach activities of the group
- Be involved in the mentoring of EOS/ASE PhD students.
- PhD in physics, geophysics, seismology or equivalent.
- Evidence of innovation and/or research publications in the areas of observational seismology or geophysics.
- Enthusiasm, good team work and collaboration, good English oral and written communication skills, and an ability to conduct independent research.
Hiring Institution: NTU