Project Manager, Yale Carbon Reduction Laboratory
As part of a team, the Project Manager will be responsible for the implementation of new techniques that will offset carbon dioxide emissions and will manage the synthesis and flow of operational data required to implement these new techniques. Responsible for overseeing pilot projects and testing methodologies by gathering and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data in order to ensure the success of the methods being developed. Responsible for successful project delivery which may include all aspects of project development, including preparing estimates and detailed project plans for all phases of the project. Provide status reporting regarding project milestones, deliverable, dependencies, risks and issues. Provide leadership by coaching, mentoring, and motivating team members.
- Oversees the execution and implementation of detailed project plans in concert with stakeholders.
- Manages several routine projects simultaneously and ensures that the design, testing, training, documentation and prioritization objectives are met.
- Assists in refining and re-sequencing during the implementation and execution phases of assigned projects, as needed.
- Works closely with business analysts, technical professionals, end users and project stake holders during the requirements, solutions design and implementation phases to develop detailed project plans for implementation.
- Works on risk assessment, communication planning, development of performance metrics, and project entry criteria.
- Creates detailed project plans including timelines, budgets, and resource allocation to ensure successful project completion.
- Manages client expectations and provides issue/risk identification and escalation pathways.
- May supervise the implementation team of cross-functional project and technical resources.
- Designs, develops, and executes communication systems to ensure effective exchange of information between project stakeholders, senior management, and staff.
- Resolves complex project issues that involve representatives from multiple organizations.
- Complies with standard policies and procedures.
- May supervise and train junior project managers.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and five years of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated academic excellence and exceptional verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate scientific concepts to a non-scientific audience using visualizations of data.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proactive, self-directed, and highly collaborative, with a proven ability to work both independently and in teams, using sound judgement in knowing when to seek guidance and advice as needed. Demonstrated experience functioning on a high-performing team with the ability to train, coach, and mentor members of the team.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment and comfort working with new methodologies and creating clarity in ambiguous situations. Proven ability to meet challenging deadlines. Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to build on existing knowledge to develop new approaches.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Strong data analytic skills with a qualitative and quantitative approach to problem solving. Proficient experience in Microsoft Office Suite and highly organized with a strong attention to detail and the ability to successfully prioritize competing priorities.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally, including work in the field for varying lengths of time.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Expert understanding of climate change and environmental policy, environmental sustainability challenges, and technical knowledge of climate change and development issues, with a passion for nature and the environment.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus