Lecturer/Assistant Professor, PhD in Architectural Engineering
The Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering (CAE)\Architectural Engineering and Sustainability Programme (AES) is making significant investment in new academic positions to support its strategic development within the next five years to enable the department to be an active player in the field of Architectural Engineering and Sustainability.
The recruited Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Architectural Engineering will endeavour to contribute to the success and the growth of the department, especially in the areas of specialisation (Sustainable Architecture Design II&III, Building Construction I&II, History of Architecture I&II, and Sustainable Design Methods).
VACANCY TITLE: Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Architectural Engineering
VACANCIES AVAILABLE: One
DEPARTMENT: Civil and Architectural Engineering (CAE)
JOB FAMILY: Academic
TYPE OF CONTRACT: FTE 1.0
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours/Week (Normally 08:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Sunday – Thursday)
PLACE OF WORK: University of Kurdistan Hewlêr
REPORTING TO: Chair of CAE Dept./Chair of Arch. Eng. & Sustainability Programme
APPOINTMENT DURATION: Three Years (subject to renewal depending on needs and performance)
PROBATION: 6 Months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application is open until the position is filled
JD VERSION: 040320
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To be able to comfortably deliver at least three modules in the field of knowledge to undergraduate and postgraduate students and to participate in designing modules and programs in Architectural Engineering whenever required to reflect the latest developments in the subject area(s). This should be done in accordance with the University quality enhancement policy and processes, in addition to professional body requirements and with the aim of creating interest and learning amongst students.
- Design and implement appropriate assessment methods corresponding to targeted learning outcomes in the module descriptors, ensure established standards are maintained and timescales adhered to. Provide support, counselling and tutorials to students.
- Stimulate the students to have the opportunity to be engaged and challenged.
- Supervise undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations and projects relating to Architectural Engineering.
- Provide constructive and timely feedback to students and other stakeholders and advise on areas of concern and suggest improvement.
- Instruct students in laboratories and design worksheets for lab experiments and presentations when needed.
- Provide general support to students with scheduled office hours, tutorials and follow up on student attendance and progress.
- Carry out research and scholarly activities as well as publishing in areas of specialization. Ensure research outcomes are relevant and applicable to key areas of teaching and benefit the students, University and the Kurdistan Region.
- Present academic papers at credible academic gatherings such as but not limited to conferences and symposiums (nationally and internationally).
- Write expert reports, letters or other documents dealing with complex, contentious and sensitive situations (e.g. writing a project plan for a committee, writing reports to grant awarding bodies on progress of research projects, preparing written analysis of research data).
- Follow up on improving the quality of research and support the role of the University as a leader in the region.
- Actively participate in academic and administrative committees formed on departmental, school and university levels
- Contribute to the administrative/management tasks (i.e. marketing, student recruitment, chairmanship of the departments, module co-ordination, etc.) as and when required.
Additionally, the selected applicant to undertake any other Teaching, Research & Administrative reasonable duties to commensurate with the nature of the post and as requested by the line manager.
- Contribute, where appropriate, to knowledge transfer, leadership, public service, income generation and consultancy activities of the University.
The Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Architectural Engineering should have the following qualifications, skills and competencies:
- A candidate can be employed directly as an Assistant Professor by UKH provided that he/she is a holder of a PhD from an accredited university and has the credentials that qualify him/her for that post provided that the candidate has held the title of Assistant Professor or equivalent in an academic institution.
- Minimum of 5 years of teaching experience in Higher Education and carrying out research. A Higher Education Teaching Certificate is required.
- Minimum of 5 peer-reviewed articles published in Thomson Reuters, SCOPUS or DOAJ listed journals.
- Published book(s) or book chapter(s) is an advantage.
- All candidates in teaching capacity who are fresh PhD holders, are appointed as Lecturers. Candidates from Kurdistan Region and Iraq will be required to present a recognised teaching certificate as part of their employment documents.
- Fresh PhD holders must have 2-3 publications in standard journals relating to their degrees.
- A recognised Teaching Certificate at university level.
- Fluency in English Language - Reading, Writing and Speaking (ability to teach in English). For those who are not native speakers, a valid English Proficiency Test document is required.
- A consistent record of teaching in Architectural Engineering.
- The ability to comfortably teach across programmes (3 – 5 modules), curricula and to supervise dissertations and project works.
- A strong knowledge of subject areas combined with a broad subject background.
- Interpersonal, planning and organisational skills.
- A good team player with the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds.
- Commitment to high quality teaching and fostering a positive learning environment for students.
- Commitment to continuous professional development, academic research and income generation.
- Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to email@example.com by indicating the specific Vacancy Title: Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Architectural Engineering and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
- An Application Form is available at ‘Vacancies’ on the University website (http://www.ukh.edu.krd).
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.