University Council Secretary
7 days left
- Full Time
JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY
The University Secretary (Secretary) is responsible to the University Council, through the Chairman, to ensure effective and efficient operations of the University’s system of governance.
The Secretary supports the Chairman and University Council members in carrying out their responsibilities including the provision of information and advice, as required. The Secretary is the principle source of advice on university governance matters. The Secretary will alert the Chairman if any proposed actions exceed the University Council’s powers or are contrary to the provisions of legislation.
The Secretary works with the Chairman and Vice President to ensure the efficient management of University Council’s business.
The job requires effective organization, management and follow-up of University Council and Cabinet of Ministers relations affairs and development of policies and practices which ensure the University is adherent to government and other regulatory requirements in matters related to the University Council and its functions.
Under the direction and guidance of the University Council Chairman, the Vice President, and the President, the University Secretary will have the following key accountabilities:
University Governance Framework:
- Coordinates, facilitates, and records the activities of the University Council committees, and other governing bodies to ensure effective and efficient operations of the University’s governance. The incumbent is also responsible for matters related to privacy and access to information, equity and University policy. Communicates regularly on the deliberations and actions approved by the Board of Directors.
- Facilitates the work of the University Council, including their adhoc and standing meetings, publications, directories, committee staffing and orientation for new members.
- Works closely with other departments and units, including Legal Counsel to support the University governance processes and efforts in line with market best practices.
- Anticipates substantive or procedural difficulties in the implementation of Council decisions and recommends the ways to avoid them.
- Remains well informed about all university policies and procedures and about the status of proposals as they proceed through the university decision-making process.
- Ensures that the University remains compliant within the appropriate legal framework, which defines its obligations and duties, and to support the governance of the University.
- Ensure the University Council members and executive management are kept upto date on their legal duties and responsibilities, recent developments in regulations and corporate governance practices,etc.
- Leads the development, seeks approval and ensures effective management of policies and procedures covering all areas of Council relations and corporate governance.
- Liaises with the external auditor, state audit, cabinet of ministers and any other regulatory/government bodies as and when needed.
- Verifies official publications (e.g., annual reports submitted to the Cabinet, press releases concerning the Chairman and governance matters, reports submitted to the MSCHE).
- Organizes meetings of Council and its standing committees. Ensures that agenda papers are developed and circulated in a timely and effective manner and the meeting minutes represent an accurate record of proceedings and decisions.
- Facilitates effective and appropriate communication between Council and other stakeholders in the University including students, staff and government.
- Monitors implementation of Council decisions. Ensures that Council protocols and relevant university policies and procedures are observed.
- Develops and implements training programs and workshops aligned to the University strategic plan and vision.
Any other support as required by the Council Chairman, or the University management .
DEGREE OF INDEPENDENCE/COMPLEXITY OF ENVIRONMENT
- Highly ambiguous, constantly changing environment with a diverse network of key stakeholders and policy makers.
- Must be able to deal with simultaneously occurring crisis which may compete for time and resources.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS/IMPACT OF INTERACTIONS
- Interacts extensively with senior management to educate, influence, and build awareness of key issues and propose solutions.
- Influences and negotiates with external parties for the benefit of the University.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Must be a UAE National with a minimum of a Master’s degree from an accredited institution with 10 years of experience in legal, general audit, risk management and governance function or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Expert level knowledge of institutional governance and legal concepts, practices and procedures in a complex environment are highly desired.
Good knowledge of the academic industry. Good knowledge of Cabinet of Ministers decisions and any rules and regulations related to the University.
Other essential requirements:
Fluency in written and spoken Arabic & English,
Ability to travel between Abu Dhabi and Dubai,
Passion for matters related to institutional governance, audit and risk management.
Desired or preferred requirements:
- Experience working in the academic environment.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Proven ability to listen, advice and counsel at senior levels.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- High degree of attention to detail.
- Good presentation and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of protocol and procedures relating to the University Council.
Leadership & Managerial Accountability - Engages others to work together towards a shared vision and common goals; Makes effective decisions, achieve outcomes and results.
Communication - Able to share information in an effective & collaborative manner, both verbally and in writing (English and Arabic).
Customer & Service Focused - Demonstrates a spirit of service excellence
Results & Action Orientation - Demonstrates initiative to generate improvements and foster positive outcomes.
Builds Effective Interpersonal Relationships - Demonstrates interpersonal effectiveness in the workplace.
Knowledge & Technical Competency - Demonstrates proficiency in technical and job knowledge aspects of the position to achieve high level of performance. Able and willing to learn. Excellent compute skills (Microsoft Office)
Statements in this document are intended to reflect, in general, the role and responsibilities of the position and are not to be interpreted as totally inclusive.