Lecturer/Assistant/Associate Professor for Graduate Program of TESOL
Wenzhou-Kean University Lecturer/Assistant/Associate Professor for Graduate Program of TESOL
About Wenzhou-Kean University
Wenzhou-Kean University (WKU), located in Wenzhou, China, is one of three Sino-American universities along with NYU Shanghai and Duke Kunshan University, is approved by the Ministry of Education of China. Launched in 2012, WKU offers a unique model of higher education in partnership with Kean University, a comprehensive, public university in the state of New Jersey, that is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. WKU sits on approximately 500 beautiful acres and currently enrolls 2,500 undergraduate students, and it is now in the midst of a rapid growth that will bring enrollment to 8,500 students within the next six years.
All instruction is in English and all curriculum is provided by Kean University. In addition to its current 17 undergraduate programs, WKU has been approved by the Ministry of Education for offering 3 doctorate and 8 Master’s programs including TESOL program (M.A.). Wenzhou is one of the most vibrant and economically advanced developed cities on China's East Coast, located one hour by plane and just over three hours by high-speed train from Shanghai.
About the Job:
WKU is launching the graduate program of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Language) starting from fall 2020. WKU is seeking a vibrant candidate to teach a full range of graduate courses in TESOL including, but not limited to: General Linguistics, Methods for Teaching English Learners in ESL/EFL Settings, Assessment of Language Performance in ESL/EFL Contexts, Phonology & Structure of American English, Sociolinguistics, Advanced Theory and Practice of Teaching English Language Learners, and Culture, Cognition & Communication for ELLs. The successful candidate has a clear record of expertise in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) and the ability to prepare graduate students to prepare others to teach ESL including the skills necessary for acquiring English: reading, writing, speaking and listening. Candidate must have an on-going agenda for student engaging research and are expected to publish research outcomes in well-recognized journals. Candidate is expected to advise graduate students to develop research projects and produce publishable research outcomes. In addition to teaching and research, candidate is expected to contribute to the growth of the programs, including, but not limited to curriculum development, program assessment, student recruitment/advisement, faculty hiring, program promotion, and internship opportunities.
This full-time faculty position will start fall 2020. This position will be offered at Lecturer level or at the rank of tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor. Lecturer position is 12-month, non-tenure track appointment, and may be renewed on an annual basis. Tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor is a 10-month appointment that requires research and publications in internationally recognized and vigorously peer-reviewed journals in the field. Lecturers typically teach 39 credits per academic year, or four graduate-level courses (3 credit hours per course) in each of the spring and fall semesters and two courses in summer session. Tenure-track faculty members typically teach 24 credits per academic year, or three graduate-level courses (3 credit hours per course) in each of the spring and fall semesters. Course release is usually available to graduate faculty for grant proposal development or other substantial research initiatives. The candidate will be expected to participate in the full range of faculty responsibilities, including high quality teaching, research, advising, student learning support, service to the university and/or professional community.
Teaching assignments and related responsibilities may include day, evening, weekend and online courses. Interest or experience in using advanced instructional technologies to improve the teaching/learning process is highly desirable.
- A Ph.D. or Ed.D. in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or closely related area. ABD can be considered with completion prior to the effective date of employment.
- A minimum of one year of teaching experience at the post-secondary level.
- English native speakers are required for the positions.
- Evidence of teaching experience in TESL settings.
- Evidence of successful teaching experience at the college level, preferably graduate level (e.g. course evaluations, teaching portfolio).
- Familiarity with current trends in pedagogy and program development.
- Knowledge of and experience with assessment and accreditation is desirable.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled. Please send cover letter, resume, statement of teaching philosophy, research statement describing research interest, past accomplishments in research and research plan (for tenure track positions only), unofficial transcripts and contact information of three professional references by email to Search Committee Chairperson at email@example.com . Official transcripts for all degrees and three current letters of recommendation are required before appointment.
TESOL faculty positions at WKU offer:
- Annual salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience with the range from $64,000-$73,000 for lecturers; $68,000-$78,000 for Assistant Professors; $75,000-$85,000 for Associate Professors.
- Income tax exemption depicted by tax treaty between China and some countries (for example, the Unites States).
- A well-rounded healthcare coverage, academic travel up to $2,000, housing options and subsidy up to $3,000, home traveling up to $6,000 (2 international round-trip airfares), a reimbursement to cover relocation expenses up to $1,000, shuttle bus to campus for work.
- WKU tuition waiver up to 80% for spouse/dependent children of faculty for the higher educational degree. And tuition discount of local private/international kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools for children of faculty.
- A collegial environment.
- The opportunity to teach high quality students with more than a third of graduates being admitted to the graduate schools at the World’s Top 50 Universities, and about 70% of graduates at the World’s Top 100 Universities.
Wenzhou-Kean University conducts background screenings on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background Screenings.
Apply for Lecturer/Assistant/Associate Professor for Graduate Program of TESOL
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly